Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and seen similar problems and possible solutions none of which have worked. I have a 2014 and recently noticed a loud creaking noise coming from the driver side rear wheel. The noise is made when not moving and pushing down on the brake pedal. I have read about similar issues and have cleaned/greased the entire caliper, slide pins, parking/drum, and even rotated the caliper piston but it continues creaking. It goes away or greatly decreases with the engine off. The truck has about 50k miles on it and is in good shape. The brake pads look like they have plenty of life still in them. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
There is a knob in the cab to control this. Usually in the middle of the dash, labeled volume. Turn it clockwise until you no longer hear the sound.

It is the sound of friction in moving parts. There are pads on the back of the brake pads, play in sliding parts, little metal clips, etc. the harder you push, the more strain is being put on those parts and the more they compress/move. You don't hear it as much when the engine is off because your power booster is off, so not as much power.
If you really want to find the exact parts making the noise, jack it up, remove the tire. Turn the engine on, have someone cycle the brake pedal as you are touching different parts of the system. The parts that vibrate the most are the ones creaking.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I've got a 2015 but I have the exact same issue on the driver side rear wheel. Was just talking to someone else about this the other day on another forum and he has a 2015 Silverado, same issue and in rear.
Truck at a complete stop, press the brake pedal and hear a creaking like an old spring or door. Brakes seem to work fine though. No squealing or unusual noises when truck moving and brakes applied.

I have seen some say they replaced brakes and lubed everything and it went away. One said caliper slide pins lubricated fixed it. One said caliper piston was getting stuck. One also said parking brake springs needed lubed.

See here https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/ ... ing-sound/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I tried everything and eventually replaced the pads which has cured the problem so far. Thank you for everyone's input!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Thank you for coming back and posting the solution.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Brake pads actually need some lube applied when installed. This sounds counter-intuitive, but the lube is NOT applied to the friction surface. Rather, it is applied (sparingly) to the mounting tab areas, where the pads will be moving back and forth.... and also on the BACKS of the pads, where they will contact the caliper and/or piston. Especially if you have a single/dual piston caliper with piston(s) only on one side of caliper, then there all be some flexing of all the parts as the brakes are applied. This could easily cause noise, hence grease is always applied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't this issue in my case. I had already removed the old pads and cleaned and greased all appropriate surfaces and it didn't solve the issue.

·
Registered
816 Posts
norcaltungsten14 said:
It wasn't this issue in my case. I had already removed the old pads and cleaned and greased all appropriate surfaces and it didn't solve the issue.
Interesting...... perhaps one of the old pads was a little bit loose where its glued to the backing plate. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Thanks to this thread I solved the same issue with my truck by replacing the brake pads in the rear. The old ones looked a little crusty but still intact and had quite a bit of life left in them so I don't know why they sounded like that on the driver side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts