Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to ID the capacity of the differential capacity. I was expecting to maybe find an ID tag or stamp on the rear axle but I didn't. I've tried looking it up online but I can't find the RPO code that tells me what I'm looking for.
I did happen to find a chart that said the capacity is 4.2 pints or 5.5 pints depending on the ring gear, but I don't know what RG I have.

The truck is a 2014 Sierra, 5.3L w a 3.42 rear dif, and if it matters, the diff cover has 12 bolts.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
You have the smaller ring gear. The larger one is for the 6.2l motor.

So I'd get 5 quarts and fill it until it is level with the fill hole. The spec is something like 3/8" below the fill hole, but I've never gone by that and have never had an issue. But it also probably doesn't hurt to have it at what gm says.

· Registered
7,114 Posts
19trax95 said:
You have the smaller ring gear. The larger one is for the 6.2l motor.

So I'd get 5 quarts and fill it until it is level with the fill hole. The spec is something like 3/8" below the fill hole, but I've never gone by that and have never had an issue. But it also probably doesn't hurt to have it at what gm says.
All the max tow nht trucks got the larger ring gear too regardless of engine size, 5 Quarts maybe a little to much to buy,

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,373 Posts
My info shows for 2014 up;
8.6" ring gear has 10-bolt cover
9.5" ring gear has 12-bolt cover (Max Trailering has 9.76" RG '14 up)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.