Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2014 sierra SLT fully loaded every option in the world that I just purchased a few months ago. It has the lane departure control and it also has the forward collision alert. I’m not quite sure if it is working correctly. When I turn on the departure control if I swerve a little towards the other lane the alarm goes off so that is all working fine however the seat does not vibrate. I’m not sure if it is supposed to or not but from what people tell me on my truck it is supposed to vibrate. Also the forward collision warning when I turn it on and I am far away from somebody the light is green as I get closer it turns yellow but then you have to almost hit the person in front of you for it to turn red and for the alarm to go off. I tried it on every different setting for variations of how far you wanted to go off and no matter what I do it does not turn red and the alarm go off until you are literally about to crash into the car in front of you. Again also with this the seat never vibrates and I am told that it is supposed to vibrate with this. I am hoping somebody has the same truck as mine with this option and can tell me why does he does not vibrate and also why does it not warn me on the forward collision until the second I’m about to hit someone. I have only turned it on to test it I have never used it to rely on it as obviously the way it works I would have crashed before it even told me the alarm that there was a car in front of me.Thank you.

·
Administrator
7,559 Posts
Maybe this is explained in your owner's manual?

Reactions: swathdiver

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
The Lane Keep Assist does not vibrate the seat when you drift out of your lane. The sensors have to be able to detect the lane markings. Sometimes the sensors can not detect the solid white/yellow line or the dash lane markings. The older lane markings often go undetected. If they do detect the lane markings and you haven't activated your turn signal the truck will correct the steering for you.

If you change lanes without signaling the seat does vibrate.

On forward collision avoidance when you get too close the seat vibrates and a buzzing is heard while a heads up display shows a blinking red bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Lane Keep Assist does not vibrate the seat when you drift out of your lane. The sensors have to be able to detect the lane markings. Sometimes the sensors can not detect the solid white/yellow line or the dash lane markings. The older lane markings often go undetected. If they do detect the lane markings and you haven't activated your turn signal the truck will correct the steering for you.

If you change lanes without signaling the seat does vibrate.

On forward collision avoidance when you get too close the seat vibrates and a buzzing is heard while a heads up display shows a blinking red bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes so all of that is 💯 working perfectly and i sm definitely using everything correctly except for no matter what i do the seat never vibrates it’s almost like me seat doesn’t have the vibration option or it is turned off . Everything os working correctly and i do know how to use . My question really is do I definitely have the seat vibrating option? And if i do why
Does it never go off ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Have a dealer print a 'build sheet' for your vin.
It will have a full list of options.

Does the Lane Departure Warning cause a beep?

In 2015 the 'alert type' was selectable in personalization menus (not sure about 2014)

Alert Type (2015 manual)
This feature will set crash alerts to beeps or seat vibrations. This setting affects all crash alerts including Forward Collision, Lane Departure Warning, and Parking Assist alerts.
Select Beeps or Safety Alert Seat.

You can download a 2014 Owners manual (free) from the GM websites
(if you prefer pdf and/or if the truck didn't come with one. I would have copied from a 2014, but it's not one I have downloaded)

iirc, up to 2015 they only had LDW (Lane Departure Warning -- the system the provides alerts)
Starting in 2016, they added the LKA (Land Keep Assist) -- that 'bumps' the steering to both alert and assist in keeping in the lane.
(LKA is only on 1500's because it uses the electric steering)

A little of the LKA info from the 2016 manual:

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) (1500 Series)

If equipped, LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction.

It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system alert as the lane marking is crossed. The LKA system will not assist or provide an LDW alert if it detects that you are actively steering.

Override LKA by turning the steering wheel. LKA uses a camera to detect lane markings between 60 km/h (37 mph) and 180 km/h (112 mph).

The LKA camera sensor is on the windshield ahead of the rearview mirror.
To turn LKA on and off, press LKA switch on the center stack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a dealer print a 'build sheet' for your vin.
It will have a full list of options.

Does the Lane Departure Warning cause a beep?

In 2015 the 'alert type' was selectable in personalization menus (not sure about 2014)

Alert Type (2015 manual)
This feature will set crash alerts to beeps or seat vibrations. This setting affects all crash alerts including Forward Collision, Lane Departure Warning, and Parking Assist alerts.

You can download a 2014 Owners manual (free) from the GM websites
(if you prefer pdf and/or if the truck didn't come with one. I would have copied from a 2014, but it's not one I have downloaded)

iirc, up to 2015 they only had LDW (Lane Departure Warning -- the system the provides alerts)
Starting in 2016, they added the LKA (Land Keep Assist) -- that 'bumps' the steering to both alert and assist in keeping in the lane.
(LKA is only on 1500's because it uses the electric steering)

A little of the LKA info from the 2016 manual:

Lane Keep Assist (LKA) (1500 Series)

If equipped, LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction.

It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system alert as the lane marking is crossed. The LKA system will not assist or provide an LDW alert if it detects that you are actively steering.

Override LKA by turning the steering wheel. LKA uses a camera to detect lane markings between 60 km/h (37 mph) and 180 km/h (112 mph).

The LKA camera sensor is on the windshield ahead of the rearview mirror.
To turn LKA on and off, press LKA switch on the center stack.
Thank you I will check this out I looked in my owners manual I could not find anything. But I definitely have an option because I have a forward-looking camera if I drift out of lane putting my blinker on the alarm goes off and beeps at me. And I definitely have the Ford collision I have the button on the steering wheel and when I am far away from the car there’s nothing on the dash when I get closer to a car turns green as I get even closer it turns yellow And then when I get real close it turns red the warning alarm goes off and the lights on the dasAnd then when I get real close it turns red the warning alarm goes off and the three lights on the dash I’ve shine onto the windshield flash so I am getting all the warnings and everything is working correctly except for the fact that the seat just never vibrates

·
Registered
453 Posts
Thank you I will check this out I looked in my owners manual I could not find anything. But I definitely have an option because I have a forward-looking camera if I drift out of lane putting my blinker on the alarm goes off and beeps at me. And I definitely have the Ford collision I have the button on the steering wheel and when I am far away from the car there’s nothing on the dash when I get closer to a car turns green as I get even closer it turns yellow And then when I get real close it turns red the warning alarm goes off and the lights on the dasAnd then when I get real close it turns red the warning alarm goes off and the three lights on the dash I’ve shine onto the windshield flash so I am getting all the warnings and everything is working correctly except for the fact that the seat just never vibrates
You must have the option and it must be set for beeps instead of alert seat.
(I don't believe there is a way to have it do both)

2014 1500 Sierra manual, in driver assistance systems section

Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
If equipped, LDW may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures.
It may provide a warning if the vehicle is crossing a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in the lane departure direction.

LDW uses a camera sensor to detect the lane markings.
It only operates at speeds of 56 km/h (35 mph) or greater.

When the vehicle crosses a detected lane marking, the LDW indicator will flash and either three beeps will be sounded from the left or right side, or three Safety Alert Seat pulses will occur on the left or right side of the seat, depending on the lane departure direction.
LDW will not warn if the turn signal is on in the departure direction, or if a sharp maneuver is made.

How the System Works

The LDW camera sensor is on the windshield ahead of the rearview mirror.

To turn LDW on and off, press switch on the center stack. The control indicator will light when LDW is on.
When the vehicle is started, the LDW indicator on the instrument cluster will come on briefly.

If LDW is on, the LDW indicator will appear green if the system detects a left or right lane marking while the vehicle is traveling at 56 km/h (35 mph) or greater. If the vehicle crosses a detected lane marking without using the turn signal in the lane departure direction, this indicator will change to amber and flash. In addition, three beeps will be sounded from the left or right side, or the Safety Alert Seat will pulse three times on either the left or right side of the seat, depending
on the lane departure direction.

When the System Does Not Seem to Work Properly

If the LDW symbol does not appear when the system is on and the vehicle is traveling at least 56 km/h
(35 mph):
. The lane markings on the road may not be seen.
. The camera sensor may be blocked by dirt, snow, or ice.
. The windshield may be damaged.
. The weather may be limiting visibility.

This is normal operation; the vehicle does not need service. Clean the windshield.
Lane markings may not be detected on curves, highway exit ramps,
or hills; or due to poor visibility.

If the LDW camera system does not seem to operate properly, cleaning the outside of the windshield in front of the camera sensor may correct the issue.

LDW warnings may occur due to tar marks, shadows, cracks in the road, or other road imperfections. This is normal system operation; the vehicle does not need service.

AND IN THE VEHICLE PERSONALIZATION SECTION

Uplevel Radio Audio System Controls
1. Press the desired feature to display a list of available options.
2. Press to select the desired feature setting.
3. Press BACK arrow on the faceplate or screen button to return to the previous menu or exit.

Turn the vehicle to ON/RUN to access the Settings menu,
then select SETTINGS from the Home page on the infotainment system display

and on pg 5-47 (still in personalization)

Alert Type

This feature will set crash alerts to beeps or seat vibrations.
This setting affects all crash alerts including Forward Collision, Lane Departure Warning, and Parking Assist alerts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You must have the option and it must be set for beeps instead of alert seat.
(I don't believe there is a way to have it do both)

2014 1500 Sierra manual, in driver assistance systems section

Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
If equipped, LDW may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures.
It may provide a warning if the vehicle is crossing a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in the lane departure direction.

LDW uses a camera sensor to detect the lane markings.
It only operates at speeds of 56 km/h (35 mph) or greater.

When the vehicle crosses a detected lane marking, the LDW indicator will flash and either three beeps will be sounded from the left or right side, or three Safety Alert Seat pulses will occur on the left or right side of the seat, depending on the lane departure direction.
LDW will not warn if the turn signal is on in the departure direction, or if a sharp maneuver is made.

How the System Works

The LDW camera sensor is on the windshield ahead of the rearview mirror.

To turn LDW on and off, press switch on the center stack. The control indicator will light when LDW is on.
When the vehicle is started, the LDW indicator on the instrument cluster will come on briefly.

If LDW is on, the LDW indicator will appear green if the system detects a left or right lane marking while the vehicle is traveling at 56 km/h (35 mph) or greater. If the vehicle crosses a detected lane marking without using the turn signal in the lane departure direction, this indicator will change to amber and flash. In addition, three beeps will be sounded from the left or right side, or the Safety Alert Seat will pulse three times on either the left or right side of the seat, depending
on the lane departure direction.

When the System Does Not Seem to Work Properly

If the LDW symbol does not appear when the system is on and the vehicle is traveling at least 56 km/h
(35 mph):
. The lane markings on the road may not be seen.
. The camera sensor may be blocked by dirt, snow, or ice.
. The windshield may be damaged.
. The weather may be limiting visibility.

This is normal operation; the vehicle does not need service. Clean the windshield.
Lane markings may not be detected on curves, highway exit ramps,
or hills; or due to poor visibility.

If the LDW camera system does not seem to operate properly, cleaning the outside of the windshield in front of the camera sensor may correct the issue.

LDW warnings may occur due to tar marks, shadows, cracks in the road, or other road imperfections. This is normal system operation; the vehicle does not need service.

AND IN THE VEHICLE PERSONALIZATION SECTION

Uplevel Radio Audio System Controls
1. Press the desired feature to display a list of available options.
2. Press to select the desired feature setting.
3. Press BACK arrow on the faceplate or screen button to return to the previous menu or exit.

Turn the vehicle to ON/RUN to access the Settings menu,
then select SETTINGS from the Home page on the infotainment system display

and on pg 5-47 (still in personalization)

Alert Type

This feature will set crash alerts to beeps or seat vibrations.
This setting affects all crash alerts including Forward Collision, Lane Departure Warning, and Parking Assist alerts.

great thank you that stinks it would be nice to have both on but if i dont have the option to have both on i guess i would rather have the beeps and the lights over just the seat vibrating right ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
great thank you that stinks it would be nice to have both on but if i dont have the option to have both on i guess i would rather have the beeps and the lights over just the seat vibrating right ?
Try the seat setting for awhile.

Switch back and forth occasionally til you determine your preference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts