Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Hey All, Long time lurker, first time posting. I have a 2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3 4x4 3.42 with towing package. Just passed 42K miles, and wanted to change out the factory fluids before winter.

I successfully changed the fluid in my front and rear differentials and the fluid in the transfer case a couple weeks ago.Using all Amsoil products. I wanted to do the transmission as well, but haven't seen the details for a 2014 posted anywhere. I want to do a full "flush" by disconnecting the return from the cooler, but had a couple questions.

1. I've read there is a thermostat controlling flow to the transmission cooler. What temperature is the bypass set to? Is there anyway to override it for service purposes to? If not, once the pan has been dropped, filter replaced, and new fluid added, how do you heat is up to open the bypass....hairdryer?

2. I went out and took a look at the line, is the one I have circled is red the return to the transmission?

IMG_9573.JPG

Thanks for any help

Attachments

· Registered
316 Posts
I did this on my truck last fall. The lines on the passanger side are the engine oil cooling lines. The ones on the driver side are the transmission cooling lines. I can't remember which one is supply and return. I did make a mess by initially hooking up the the wrong line and having transmission fluid dump onto the floor. I don't know how the bypass works.

I started by pumping out 4 liters, that helped empty the transmission pan. Then I dropped the pan and changed the filter. I did have the loosen the exhaust bolt from the manifold to get a little more room.

I then added 5 liters, pumped out 3, added 3, removed 3.... until I had used the 14 liters of amsoil I had.

I had bought a little adaptor to attach a clear hose from the transmission.

I still don't know where the bypass is, but I was able to have the transmission pump fluid from the pan, to the cooler, hopefully through the Torque converter.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mandinga said:
I did this on my truck last fall. The lines on the passanger side are the engine oil cooling lines. The ones on the driver side are the transmission cooling lines. I can't remember which one is supply and return. I did make a mess by initially hooking up the the wrong line and having transmission fluid dump onto the floor. I don't know how the bypass works.

I started by pumping out 4 liters, that helped empty the transmission pan. Then I dropped the pan and changed the filter. I did have the loosen the exhaust bolt from the manifold to get a little more room.

I then added 5 liters, pumped out 3, added 3, removed 3.... until I had used the 14 liters of amsoil I had.

I had bought a little adaptor to attach a clear hose from the transmission.

I still don't know where the bypass is, but I was able to have the transmission pump fluid from the pan, to the cooler, hopefully through the Torque converter.
Thanks for the reply. I did figure it out, with a little trial and error. I discovered the line I had circled was the oil line, when I pumped a coupe quarts out of it! Then I used the line below it, the smaller one, which ended up being the input to the transmission cooler. I just slipped some tubing onto the end of the line after I disconnected it and ran it into a bucket. I would have preferred to use the output of the cooler, but good enough. I half-assed the tranny pan, wiggled the filter out and used some rags to get the fluid out and clean it up.

I had run a couple of errands before I did the job, transmission temp was reading ~140 when I started. So I was either above the thermostatic control set point, or there is none....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.