Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

First time poster here and hoping someone can resolve my a/c problem on my 2014 Silverado High Country. My a/c is only blowing cold out of the passenger side and HOT on the driver's side. I've already had to replace the compressor twice and the condenser once and like many other owners aggravated at this trucks climate control. If anyone has experienced this or knows how to resolve this, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thank you,
Joe

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
The blend door actuators on these control the temp on each side. Not seen too many failures on 2014's but it sounds like what you are describing and where I would look. Drivers side one is located under the cover of the evaporator unit in the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you very much for the reply! I have replaced this actuator and now the A/C is working maybe 60% of the time. The other 40% it is working but still not quite as cold as the passenger side. Do I need to pull the HVAC fuse and reset the system or is there another way to recalibrate the system. Thank you again!

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
I have heard of some calibration procedures. I will have to look to find the details.

Did you use an OEM or aftermarket actuator? I tried some aftermarket and had some issues. Went to some identical OEM ones (every number and sticker was identical to what the original factory one was) I found on Ebay and no problems since.

Sent from my Samsung Phoninator S8+ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm assuming the recalibration for his 05 model and my 14 are the same? If so I really do appreciate your help with this!

Joe

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
Should be pretty much the same. I recall doing basically that after installing mine. Don't think I pulled the fuse...just disconnected the battery and then turned it on and did not touch the hvac controls for a bit. But that was when I was trying to fix the aftermarket ones to run right. I cant recall disconnecting the battery for when in put in the new OEM ones. But I am pretty sure I turned on the truck and again did not touch the hvac for a while...and presume it did a recalibrate...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have changed the lower actuator and tried pulling the fuse to self calibrate as well as disconnecting the battery and waiting a few minutes and still the A/C is not blowing cold on the driver's side. Any other suggestions or is it time for another dealer repair?

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
With the cover off...can you change temp and see that actuator moving? One possible scenario is that there is an issue with the internal damper that the actuator is moving. If the actuator seems to move with temp control change...you might take the actuator off and see if the damper door moves freely and or sense any issue with it. It is enclosed in there so if there is any problem...may be a challenge getting to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I adjust the temp I can see both upper and lower actuators moving depending on the side I adjust. What seems weird to me is when I adjust the passenger side temp the actuator I replaced (lower) is moving. When I adjust the drivers side temp the actuator on top of the fan motor is moving. Does this mean in my particular year truck the actuator for the driver's side is actually on top? Maybe I need to replace the top actuator?

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
The location should still be the same. There may be some slight interrelation from the two sides...being that it is such a small cab...but I don't know for sure...could be a system issue. I have never watched mine to see if one changes when the other is adjusted.

How are you watching the top one? Hearing it or is the dash opened up?

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
Well I am really not sure. Does not seem like one should move with the other.... and this seems a very premature failure on a newer truck as well. Could be there is something else at work here...but will most likely need a dealer level scan tool to investigate what is happening and where things are going wrong.

·
Premium Member
15,805 Posts
I took an older Yukon to the dealer for similar issues...before I was as savvy about the actuators. They charged me a bit over $100 or so for hooking up and telling me the problem. Was going to be like $800 or more to swap out the actuator in the dash (was a passenger side issue and the one in the middle of the dash). I went and bought the part off Amazon for $117 and put it in myself. And later swapped out others as they failed.

Just saying that since maybe you will be able to fix something yourself once they diagnose it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts