Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I have a 2014 Silverado ltz with the 5.3. A few months ago I was moving from GA to WA while towing a trailer. Since I made it to WA my truck has had a constant ticking noise during acceleration. It does not do it while idling or it’s not noticeable while idling. This noise seems like it’s louder with higher rpm’s. I’ve checked all the manifold bolts thinking it might be an exhaust leak, none are missing and there is no evidence of an exhaust leak. I’ve removed the serpentine belt and vacuum pump belt just in case it could be the water pump or vacuum pump and the sound is still present. There are no engine codes or a check engine light present. If this is a lifter or afm wouldn’t it throw a code? Has anyone else experienced this?

Here is a link to a video that has a very similar sound to what I am experiencing

·
Administrator
9,126 Posts
How many miles are on it? Could be a failing AFM lifter. Try to determine from where in the engine the noise is coming then maybe pull the valve cover on that side and check your valve train. Could be a broken valve spring or a loose rocker arm? It would only throw a code related to AFM if there is a misfire.

Reactions: ttiros1

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How many miles are on it? Could be a failing AFM lifter. Try to determine from where in the engine the noise is coming then maybe pull the valve cover on that side and check your valve train. Could be a broken valve spring or a loose rocker arm? It would only throw a code related to AFM if there is a misfire.
Thank you for the quick response. My truck has 130k miles on it. I’m hearing the noise more on the passenger side. This afternoon I pulled the valve covers off both sides and all rockers were tight.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Do you have a stethoscope where you can pinpoint better where it is coming from? When was the last time you changed the oil? Any metal sparkling in the oil? Notice any power loss?
You could do an oil analysis and see what metals are present in the oil. If it is a lifter going bad catching it before it nukes the cam or bearing surfaces on cam or crank journals could save you a ton of money.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a stethoscope where you can pinpoint better where it is coming from? When was the last time you changed the oil? Any metal sparkling in the oil? Notice any power loss?
You could do an oil analysis and see what metals are present in the oil. If it is a lifter going bad catching it before it nukes the cam or bearing surfaces on cam or crank journals could save you a ton of money.
I don’t have a stethoscope. My last oil change was at the beginning of October, roughly 2500 miles ago. I didn’t notice any sparkling to it. There isn't any power loss. It still seems to run just as good as it did before this started happening. Even though I removed the vacuum pump belt to see if the pump was going bad, would it still make a noise? Everything I'm reading everyone else seems to experience an intermittent noise that goes away after the truck warms up. My noise doesn't happen when its cold, it starts as soon as the truck warms up. I don't notice it at all from idle to about 1200 rpm, and as soon as a let off the gas it stops, and starts back up as soon as i give it gas.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I don’t have a stethoscope. My last oil change was at the beginning of October, roughly 2500 miles ago. I didn’t notice any sparkling to it. There isn't any power loss. It still seems to run just as good as it did before this started happening. Even though I removed the vacuum pump belt to see if the pump was going bad, would it still make a noise? Everything I'm reading everyone else seems to experience an intermittent noise that goes away after the truck warms up. My noise doesn't happen when its cold, it starts as soon as the truck warms up. I don't notice it at all from idle to about 1200 rpm, and as soon as a let off the gas it stops, and starts back up as soon as i give it gas.
Here's two clips from driving the truck tonight

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
4,219 Posts
Well in that video it kinda sounds like a lifter I think.

The first video you posted that guy said he fixed it with a new vacuum pump. Not saying to throw parts at it though

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well in that video it kinda sounds like a lifter I think.

The first video you posted that guy said he fixed it with a new vacuum pump. Not saying to throw parts at it though
Thanks. If it is a lifter do you think its possible that it’s just a partially collapsed lifter which is why there is no misfire or check engine light?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am going to be the odd ball here but that sounds like the lifter attached to the high pressure fuel pump that rides in the cam. But hard to diagnosis with just video sounds,

·
Registered
08 Silverado
95 Posts
I'm certainly no expert and it's hard to tell by just that video, but does it seem odd to anyone else that the noise seems to be silent at low rpms? Other lifter ticks I've heard have made a constant noise, just faster at higher rpms and slower at lower rpms.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don’t know if this helps, but today I hooked up a scan tool and seen that cylinder 3 had 5 misfires and cylinder 7 had 3. The rest of the cylinders didn’t have any at all. I decided to take off the driver side valve cover again and took a video of it.

·
Administrator
9,126 Posts
130k on it... have you ever changed the spark plugs and wires? Be sure to only use AC Delco parts.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’ve been away from the truck for a while but Today I was able to check the compression and each cylinder is at 175 except cylinder 2 and 4 which is at 165. The ticking noise is still there and just recently it has started hesitating when accelerating to get on the highway

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any updates on this? I'm curious to know whether it's a lifter issue

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk
Update to my truck and I think I found the problem. So along with the hesitation I was experiencing when getting on the highway it also started shuddering like driving over rumble strips. So I flushed the transmission with Mobil 1 ATF fluid and replaced the filter. Truck was doing great for about 3 days, then the ticking, shuddering and hesitation came back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Update to my truck and I think I found the problem. So along with the hesitation I was experiencing when getting on the highway it also started shuddering like driving over rumble strips. So I flushed the transmission with Mobil 1 ATF fluid and replaced the filter. Truck was doing great for about 3 days, then the ticking, shuddering and hesitation came back.
sounds exactly like a lifter to me. do a motor flush. then drain all the oil. do new oil and filter. 5 quarts oil and 1 quart marvel mystery oil. I bet money that lifter gets rreeeeaaalllll quiet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts