Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Another update. I took truck to dealership and they diagnosed it as a pump inside transmission that’s making the tick and torque converter causing the slipping and shutter, they recommended transmission replacement and quoted me $5900 to replace it. I took it to another shop for a second opinion, same thing. So I decided to get the transmission replaced. After it’s replaced, the shop calls and says my trucks ready but is making this loud tick and all lifters are bad, they recommend engine replacement for $14000……brought the truck home, pulled the valve covers and rockers. All the pushrods looked fine. I removed the vacuum pump and plugged the oil ports. I replaced the manifold gaskets and donut gaskets in the y pipe just in case it could be an exhaust leak. I am lost with this tick. I’ve replaced two lifters in my wife’s Tahoe, this tick doesn’t sound like what hers sounded like. The Tahoe’s tick was constant and even if this was a lifter wouldn’t it of collapsed by now? I drive this truck daily, 200+/- miles per week with no loss in performance, no codes, no misfires.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Last Thursday I took the truck in for another second opinion. They diagnosed the tick as a bent pushrod for #6 cylinder and that there was also a fuel trim code for that bank of cylinders. They didn’t tear into it because they said parts are currently unavailable. They recommended I take the truck home and pull the pushrods. All of them looked fine. I replaced them all anyways. After putting it back together I started unplugging coils individually, the tick was present with all coils unplugged except cylinder #2. I swapped coils, same thing. Is it possible I have fuel injector problem with #2 cylinder?

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,594 Posts
They diagnosed a bent pushrod? The only way to do that is to pull the valve covers and visually see it or with a micrometer to measure travel, and it sounds like they didn't do that. And the pushrods weren't available at the mechanic you went to, but you were able to buy them?

And the tick moved from the transmission to the engine? And it happened while it was at a mechanics shop (as in, it wasn't making that noise before).

You might consider getting a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the tick is coming from.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They diagnosed a bent pushrod? The only way to do that is to pull the valve covers and visually see it or with a micrometer to measure travel, and it sounds like they didn't do that. And the pushrods weren't available at the mechanic you went to, but you were able to buy them?

And the tick moved from the transmission to the engine? And it happened while it was at a mechanics shop (as in, it wasn't making that noise before).

You might consider getting a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the tick is coming from.
Yes they said the tick they hear along with the fuel trim code, in their experience the problem has been a bent pushrod. They didn’t want to tear into it just in case they found a lifter or cam to be bad. They said those two parts are on back order.

The tick has been present for almost a year. A few months ago the transmission started slipping and shuddering. GM and the shop that did the transmission replacement diagnosed the tick along with the slipping/shuddering as the transmission.

I believe I have pinpointed the problem to number 2 cylinder. It’s the only cylinder when I unplug the coil, the noise disappears

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,594 Posts
IME, equating a fuel trim code to a bent pushrod = BS. It's possible, but it isn't anywhere near the top of the diagnosis chart for fuel trim problems...

·
Registered
532 Posts
OP I think you are delaying the inevitable and may have already gone past the point of no return. If you keep driving it you risk destroying the bearings and journals along with the crank and cam. This will make rebuilding impossible and move you from a repair job to whole engine replacement. The more and more you drive with a possible lifter issue you groove the cam/crank making them impossible to repair. Good luck!

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Household hardware Rim
Cylinder Waste container Nickel Tin Gas
Household hardware Automotive tire Rectangle Gas Metal
Automotive tire Material property Household hardware Rim Metal

This weekend I installed a dod delete kit from Texas speed. I found that it wasn't an afm lifter that failed, it was just a normal lifter in cylinder 3. Everything went back together smooth, I let the motor idle for about 20 minutes but to my surprise the ticking noise is still present. Can anyone tell me if picture 3 and 4 is normal or what would cause the lobe to wear like that on the edge?

·
Registered
532 Posts
View attachment 951994 View attachment 951995
This weekend I installed a dod delete kit from Texas speed. I found that it wasn't an afm lifter that failed, it was just a normal lifter in cylinder 3. Everything went back together smooth, I let the motor idle for about 20 minutes but to my surprise the ticking noise is still present. Can anyone tell me if picture 3 and 4 is normal or what would cause the lobe to wear like that on the edge?
The ticking noise you hear are you sure it is not the high pressure fuel pump that sits at the back of the valley under the intake? It has a lifter that runs on the cam that times it with the system. It is a very common thing to hear it my truck and mom's Tahoe have the exact sound but my dad's truck you can hear it but it is far fainter.

Also could the ticking be a manifold leak? Any indications of manifold leakage?

On pic 3/4 it looks like light scoring can you feel any grooving with your fingernail? it should be completely smooth as glass and not even a fingernail can feel any grooving. Grooving is bad but seeing how you had lifter issues I would be more concerned with the journals on the cam if they have any grooving rather than where you had a problem. If you have grooving on journals I would be concerned about bearing journals/rod bearings on the crank developing wear but if they are smooth I would be less worried.
Shine is fine but grooving is bad.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado ltz 5.3
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The ticking noise you hear are you sure it is not the high pressure fuel pump that sits at the back of the valley under the intake? It has a lifter that runs on the cam that times it with the system. It is a very common thing to hear it my truck and mom's Tahoe have the exact sound but my dad's truck you can hear it but it is far fainter.

Also could the ticking be a manifold leak? Any indications of manifold leakage?

On pic 3/4 it looks like light scoring can you feel any grooving with your fingernail? it should be completely smooth as glass and not even a fingernail can feel any grooving. Grooving is bad but seeing how you had lifter issues I would be more concerned with the journals on the cam if they have any grooving rather than where you had a problem. If you have grooving on journals I would be concerned about bearing journals/rod bearings on the crank developing wear but if they are smooth I would be less worried.
Shine is fine but grooving is bad.
I don’t believe it’s the high pressure fuel pump, the lifter looked fine when I removed it. And I think if that was the issue I would hear it constantly. This sound is only present when accelerating/decelerating and seems to go away when the truck shifts and is not present when idling.
As far as the cam, I see what you’re talking about, but isn’t what I was trying to point out. I was trying to point out the side of the lobe Hand Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Wood Automotive design

·
Administrator
9,119 Posts
As EdgecrusherXES mentioned, I would be suspicious of an exhaust manifold leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No signs of an exhaust leak, all header bolts are tight
found this guy on youtube that is a dealership tech and you could comment on his video to see if he responds, he has a couple of videos on 5.3L ticks he has fixed, here is one. Since there are so many variables and it seems that you have covered most of them, it might help to get in touch with someone that is constantly dealing with the same engines and subjected to troubleshooting lots of different scenarios.
Youtube video fix ticking 5.3L engine

21 - 34 of 34 Posts