Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Long time lurker second time poster.

I am having a bit of trouble starting my 2015 Silverado 1500 and have had to jump start it a few times recently and wanted to get your take. I took the following video that shows whats happening.

Basically when I go to start it its just clicking and throwing errors like service stabilitrack, service theft deterrent system, and after about the fourth time or so it seems it has enough juice to barely turn over and start. All the dash lights are available, interior lights, radio, etc so wondering if this is a bad battery or some bigger issue. I wouldn't think a 1 yr old truck would already have a bad battery but what do I know. I'm taking it to the dealership on Wed but wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues or know what may be causing this?

Thanks

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
There is lots of threads about jumping the new trucks. The common consensus is you shouldn't unless it's an extreme emergency.

Batteries can take a dump that early depending on its use. Dealer is your best bet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Could be several things, battery, starter, grounds/connections, or the alternator. But, I would just take it in under warranty and let the dealer worry about it.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll let you know what the dealer says. I missed the threads on not jumping the newer trucks. What's the issue there?

The initial jump came right after Thanksgiving when we went on a trip and the truck was parked for a week. I think the Range AFM device may have drained it at that point. I took the range out and havent used it since, maybe that killed the battery.

@GR2017 - What charger would you recommend?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To close the loop on this one. It ended up being a bad battery. Took it to the dealer and they had me in and out with a new battery in an hour. All covered under warranty.

Going forward I think I may take the Range AFM out if the truck sits for long periods of time. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or just coincidence. Anyways, thanks again for the feedback here guys.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
I think there is something in the range instructions warning that it may cause battery drain if left plugged in for long periods of time with no use. Glad they took care of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,852 Posts
The Range Device does NOT draw much on the vehicle battery during normal operation. If you drive your vehicle daily (or almost daily), then this will not be a concern. However, if you drive your vehicle infrequently (i.e., only on weekends), please remove the device. It is best practice to remove the device if your vehicle will sit for anything longer than 3-4 days.

To add some more detail:

The device will go to a VERY low "sleep" state after the engine is off (within 3-10 seconds of the engine shutting off)
In this state all the LEDs are OFF and it hibernates at about 1-3mA
Every 7-15 seconds it will wake up to a "light sleep" state to check to see if the vehicle is running. In this mode, there will still be NO LEDS lit but current draw will spike for < 0.1 sec to about 7-10mA.
If the vehicle is NOT running (i.e. RPM < 500) then it'll go back to deep sleep. Rinse and repeat until the vehicle is running, at which time it'll fire up completely and you'll start seeing LEDs light again.

Given this and the normal draw from other modules (a modern vehicle will always have a small draw for the security systems, BCM, remote start/locks, OnStar, etc. .. sometimes as much a 50mA), it is recommended to reduce the risk of battery depletion by unplugging the module when the vehicle is going to be sitting for an extended period. Cold weather, weak charge state, age, etc. can all contribute to less battery capacity.

A healthy battery with decent capacity should be able to go much longer than the recommended length of time but it worth it not to come out from a 2 week vacation and find the battery dead in the airport parking lot!

16,428 Posts
I just think that GM puts in the lowest rated battery they can get away with. I upgraded my battery after just three years and haven't had any issues at all since. The AC-Delco batteries would be better suited for a 4 cylinder car IMO. Get one with 800 plus CCA and I doubt you will ever have to deal with a low battery, even on extended 5 plus day intervals of not starting the truck. I have a range in mine and if I knew it would be more than 5 or 6 days, I would probably pull the range, but if I forgot, I wouldn't expect to come back to a truck that wouldn't crank over. Mine sits for 3 or 4 days at a time quite often and I never have an issue.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the battery is completely drained, no juice, should it be recoverable or does that cause lasting negative effects and its probably better to replace at that point?

Long term I should probably just go with a tune to disable AFM. In the meantime I purchased a Jump-N-Carry JNC660 Jump Starter pack just incase.

16,428 Posts
Completely draining a battery is never good. If the battery is already getting weak, it could kill it completely. Batteries last longer when they are continuously topped off.

· Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2014 1500 LT 4x4 5.3 Ecotec in July of 2016 as second owner, never any issues really except the loss of power steering during slow speed turns, and now the same issues ie clicking and not starting all dash lights and gauges resetting and flashing, throwing codes such as stabilitrack and theft deterrent and low battery. I changed the battery once about 4 months after I bought it, could it be the battery again? It starts the 3rd or 4th time or with a jump after struggling amd or clicking and not starting. Please anyone with any suggestions? Dealership wants $99/hr to look at it and I'm prepared to fix it myself if I can figure out what it is. Any help is greatly appreciated

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.