Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, here is a video of how to remove the door, and the proper way to re-install the door, which means removing certain clips and window channel wiper from the door panel during the door installation. This method is pretty close to the same on the rear doors too.

NOTE: This is a Non-Bose system with a 8" LCD Screen
When I first upgraded my speakers I used Crutchfield's recommendation of using a 6.5" speaker in the front doors. I chose the MTX Terminator65 speakers, which are component speakers with separate tweeters. This turned out to be a less than stellar choice.

I ran across something interesting when installing the front door speakers. When I installed the front Terminator door speaker, there was no sound coming from the speaker......Until I unplugged the dash speaker. Seems the dash speaker is tied into the door speaker or sharing the same wiring as the door speaker (I'm sure someone else with more knowledge of this setup will chime in). With the dash speaker disconnected the door speaker worked well, but left nothing in the dash slot. I made a small bracket and mounted the MTX tweeter in the location of the dash speakers.....it works.

It should be noted that the Factory stereo system is not very powerful, and doesn't have the power to really drive "4-OHM" speakers very well. Thus, the sound is not really that loud or very good, IMHO.

During this same time I upgraded the rear speakers with MTX Terminator 653 speakers. Again, these speakers are also "4-OHM" speakers, and should have a more powerful amp to drive them..... therefore, they were not very loud.

Since this misstep, I've found some better speakers that have really stepped up my sound in my cab.
Front Door speakers:
Infinity REF-9623ix 300W Max 6x9" 3-way

These speakers are rated at 3-OHMs, which are better suited for factory car radios.
These are now mounted in my front doors, and the tweeters that came from the MTX speakers were left in the dash position.

The rear speakers were bumped up to:
Infinity Kappa 62.11I 150W 6.5-Inch 2-Way Kappa Series Coaxial Speakers
These speakers are rated at 2-OHMs per voice coil, which again, are better suited for factory car radios.
These are now mounted in my rear doors, and sound great.

Overall, if you are just looking to upgrade you speakers and want to keep the factory radio, these speakers are AWESOME. Don't forget to get the speaker mounting brackets.
Metra 82-3004 2014 6X9" Speaker Adapter
Metra 82-3005 6" to 6-3/4" Speaker Adapter

Being that 2.5" mid-range speakers are more difficult to come by, I'll probably get another set of tweeters to place into the dash positions and jettison the MTX speakers....

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,109 Posts
The dash speakers do tie into the doors at the kick panel locations. The factory HU is very picky in terms of ohm load. I amped the doors and ran dash off of HU alone. Great front fill.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, you're not kidding about the HU being picky about the OHM load.....
As I've been listening to the music I've found that the tweeters from the Terminators are not pushing out as much as I'd like.
I'm going to get a set of Infinity tweeters for the dash setup, which should make it a little easier on the HU to push the speakers.
Moving from 4-OHM to 3-OHM has made a very large difference in the ability for the HU to push the speakers. It is soooo much better.

· Registered
24 Posts
jbl and infinity offer 2 ohm speakers as well.would it be worth it to choose a 2 ohm over the 3.
i know this i a old thread.
Trying to get some better sound.
This is a non bose truck with the 8" display
Thanks for the help cant seem to find much info.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,109 Posts
^^^ Your best bet is to make your own thread about what exactly you have now and what you exactly what you want to do. A budget helps too.

· Super Moderator
04 Silverado ECSB, 4.8, Kenwood, JBL, Powerbass, Sierra wheels, Cherry Bomb muffler.
859 Posts
Another option is 2 ohm speakers from PowerBass (L2 series). Crutchfield carries them. Chats with the techs at Crutchfield says these would work fine with Bose. They also seem to run a little cheaper than JBL or Infinity.

· Registered
13 Posts
i will say I have a 2015 too and the stereo system leaves a lot to be desired. Ive played around with the equalizer and I cant get it to sound that good. And its not very loud either...maybe its just me. Its not like Im used to awesome set ups either, my last car had the stock system in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.