Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a 2016 Silverado with a manual transfer case shifter. I am trying to find a good place to mount a 2m radio (icom IC-2200h) and was wondering if it would be suitable to drill in to the driver's side of the plastic shroud around the shifter.
I just need four screws to hold the mounting bracket. Would this interfere with or damage any components?

Thanks!

· Registered
135 Posts
To be 100% honest with you. I wouldn't drill it into anything until warranty expires. Some places will try to tell you that it was your fault something went out. You just got to be careful to make sure they can't blame you for something.

Now I were installing it I would check to make sure that my leg wouldn't hit it first. Second thing I would check is whether or not the screws will protrude into the shifter throw area. If it clears both then there shouldn't be a problem, as long as I am thinking of the same area you are.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've somewhat mocked up the install and found that it's not too intrusive on my leg. My last truck had the radio installed on the lower dash about 5 inches from my knee. The only time that would be an issue would be in a collision.
Unfortunately, I need the radio to operate my pickup on radio controlled roads, so waiting for the warranty to expire is out of the question...
My best option would be to pull the shroud off and measure how much clearance there is. However, it's -25C right now and I can't get in to a bay for another few weeks so I guess I'll have to wait.

· Registered
135 Posts
dufflayer said:
I've somewhat mocked up the install and found that it's not too intrusive on my leg. My last truck had the radio installed on the lower dash about 5 inches from my knee. The only time that would be an issue would be in a collision.
Unfortunately, I need the radio to operate my pickup on radio controlled roads, so waiting for the warranty to expire is out of the question...
My best option would be to pull the shroud off and measure how much clearance there is. However, it's -25C right now and I can't get in to a bay for another few weeks so I guess I'll have to wait.
If I remember correctly, there should already be some small bolts holding that cover on. You could pull those and mock up a bracket to use those bolts to hold it on. They are quite small so that might be a long shot but worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.