Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I purchased a new 2017 chevy Silverado LTZ z71 with the 8spd trans and 5.3L motor, right now I have about 1500 miles on it Whenever I come to a stop I hear a clunk sound coming from the driveline. Possibly slip yoke issue or transmission 3-2-1 gear clunk ?Took it in to the dealer twice already. The first time they sited a TSB stating it's normal . Second time I took it and took the mechanic for a drive to duplicate the issue. Mechanic heard it said they'll look into it. Get the vehicle back a few days later , dealer said they torqued all the rear suspension/axle bolts back down and it solved the issue. I picked the vehicle up and as I was driving home the issue is still there. Clunk can be heard at 35 seconds and 56seconds In the video that I posted. Any suggestions anyone ?

· Registered
129 Posts
In the top video you can see the driveshaft slightly jump when it clunks at the .56 mark. Maybe just a coincidence but if not, that doesn't look normal to me. That would seriously drive me nuts.

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Hello 17silveraDo,

We understand how multiple trips to the dealership can be inconvenient and recognize that having concerns in a new truck can be frustrating. At this time, we see you are reaching out to other forum members for feedback on the clunking in your Silverado. However, if you are looking to revisit the dealership for this concern, we would be more than happy to offer our assistance and look into this further for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and involved dealership.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

17silveraDo said:
Alright guys I purchased a new 2017 chevy Silverado LTZ z71 with the 8spd trans and 5.3L motor, right now I have about 1500 miles on it Whenever I come to a stop I hear a clunk sound coming from the driveline. Possibly slip yoke issue or transmission 3-2-1 gear clunk ?Took it in to the dealer twice already. The first time they sited a TSB stating it's normal . Second time I took it and took the mechanic for a drive to duplicate the issue. Mechanic heard it said they'll look into it. Get the vehicle back a few days later , dealer said they torqued all the rear suspension/axle bolts back down and it solved the issue. I picked the vehicle up and as I was driving home the issue is still there. Clunk can be heard at 35 seconds and 56seconds In the video that I posted. Any suggestions anyone ?

· Registered
1,807 Posts
Normal, this is the transmission quickly taking up the backlash in the rear differential. Your brakes are locking up the driveline from the differential to the ground, your transmission is going from neutral (between gears) to applying drive force in-gear and quickly taking up that extra "give" (which is backlash, the extra space between the ring & pinion). You don't want it any tighter. Different gear ratios have different amounts of backlash.

· Registered
316 Posts
My truck was making a similar noise. I chased it for a while. In my case it was the leaf springs. At first it wold only happen has I was decelerating. Then it got more frequent after a few months.

· Registered
584 Posts
Yup, the top video shows the clunk at the 55-56 second mark.
From what I could see it appears the clunk is being initiated at the rear of the driveshaft. The Transfer case slip-yoke has some movement in and out, but it all appeared normal. You can see how the driveshaft moves forward slightly when the knock happens.
[youtube=https://youtu.be/aptUIt5RnlI?t=55s][/youtube]

I'd get another video of the rear axle, but get it from a complete stop to speed and then to a slow and complete stop.
I sometimes get a thunking of the driveshaft when slowing down or coasting to a stop. Seems like as the truck is slowing down, the transmission is shifting to accommodate the slower speed, and the knock happens.....

edit: not sure how to embed the youtube video.....

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,373 Posts
Its normal operating condition, you are just wasting your time taking it to the dealer as its typical as its GM voodoo programming of the transmission. It will improve with more miles, mine did.

· Registered
2,304 Posts
GM Customer Service said:
Hello 17silveraDo,

We understand how multiple trips to the dealership can be inconvenient and recognize that having concerns in a new truck can be frustrating. At this time, we see you are reaching out to other forum members for feedback on the clunking in your Silverado. However, if you are looking to revisit the dealership for this concern, we would be more than happy to offer our assistance and look into this further for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, full contact information, current mileage and involved dealership.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

17silveraDo said:
Very nice response from GM Take them up on it and contact them.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have the same issue on any 4WD truck I have owned. It's normal chain slack in transfer case. Don't worry about it. My brand new 2017 with 6.2 and 8 speed does it more as it's downshifting more gears when coming to a stop. The 2005 did it with a brand new transfer case installed from GM.

· Registered
16 Posts
Have you tried disabling "gear braking"(sp?). I hold the tow button in for 4 seconds and a message appears stating that gear braking is disabled. much better when coming to a stop as well as not a full stop before accelerating again. also driving in slow traffic.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have the same issue with the clunking in my 2017 8 speed going from 1-2 and 2-1 shifting. When going through a parking lot at very low speed and the truck shifts out of first it is one hell of a clunk, enough that everyone feels it in the truck and i can hear it directly below the center console as well. i was told it is just breaking in but it has been over 5000km now and it feels like it is getting worse. all the other gears are good just the 1-2 and 2-1 shift are crap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.