Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm preparing to purchase a '17 Silverado 1500 w/t. Test drove it. Loved it. Absolutely immaculately clean. Thought I'd check out the forums for info on issues or tips and suggestions about my upcoming purchase. Looking forward to finally owning a big boy Chevy truck.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do for sure. It's definitely worth looking at. She's a beastly little work horse. And pristine for a 6 yr old truck. Personal vehicle. No contractor abuse evident. My timing finding it at the moment in time when a guy getting the itch for a new vehicle is just fate. That could just be the sales pitch I was fed, but I like the sound of it, so I'm going with it. 😂 🤞 Here's to hoping I don't get a lemon.

My concerns are only of what I hear or read. Shifting hard and clunky has come up. There is a list of recalls that we researched and run the VIN to see if anything effects the truck. All clear on that front. Once I get it, I will visit a trusted mechanic to run a diagnostic for any red flags. My limited assessment is it feels so much better than a '97 f150 and nothing is leaking on the ground. 👍

I've driven my mother's '22 1500 turbo 4 thing and this w/t just feels meatier. I held out for the 5.3 and happy I did. Can't wait for her to be parked in the driveway.

· Registered
119 Posts
I have a 17 1500 5.3 and love it. First thing would be to change out all of the fluids unless you have great proof that it was done correctly already. drain and fill coolant, oil change, drain and refill brake fluid. Tranny pan drop, filter and re-fill with Amsoil, no additives. Rear diff oil, and transfer case too after the others, soon but not urgent. If you want WAY BETTER shifting and throttle response, and to shut off annoying AFM, get a DIABLEW TUNE. Clean MAF properly and change the factory CAI filter. I have 64877 miles on mine and stay way ahead of maintenance intervals and the engine is very smooth. The AC condensor and negative battery cable internal corrosion are frequent trouble spots. . .

· How-To Author
39 Posts
I have a '17 1500 z71 5.3 Std bed and I love it. Right on with clunky shifting but don't bother me none.

I second what Zeeman said: "First thing would be to change out all of the fluids unless you have great proof that it was done correctly already. drain and fill coolant, oil change, drain and refill brake fluid. Tranny pan drop, filter and re-fill with Amsoil, no additives. Rear diff oil, and transfer case too after the others, soon but not urgent"

Lots of luck with your new to you truck!

· Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 leveled and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd lowered.
723 Posts
Welcome to the SS forum.

If you don't get the AFM tuned out, at least get a Range Technologies device and disable it. Can drive in M5 until get AFM disabled or tuned out. Definitely change all the fluids, as already stated. Use correct weight as published in owners manual. New tranny filter and pay attention to how hot the fluid is at op temp. I just recently needed to have the torque converters replaced in both my 2015s at 31,xxx mi and 48,xxx mi. The low quality factory installed TCs get slowly cooked to death because tranny t-stat maintains 190 deg temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts