Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ, Crew Cab, 2WD, 5.3L V8, Short Bed
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 LTZ with the 8" touchscreen, my previous Silverado had the 7". It's been a few days since the purchase and I have noticed that the touchscreen is ghost touching and moving around while sitting idle. It is annoying to say the least, if I don't have Android Auto running, it'll change radio stations, open random apps, it's even changed some vehicle settings on it's own if I let it go long enough.

Unfortunately, my warranty from the dealer only covers "lubricated" items so, I'm pretty much on my own. I did take autobody in HS and have a few ASE Certs, so I know how to fix most things, however, this is a bit advanced for me. I normally work on older vehicles with less advanced infotainment and computers.

I believe the digitizer is going bad/is bad or the HMI module, I scanned the truck with my ODBII reader and got the following codes:
- B126A-00 | Internet application download performance. (Human machine interface module)
- B127E-00 | Front video display output signal. (Human machine interface module)
- B1325-03 | Control module power circuit - low voltage. (Radio)
- B101D-F2 | ECU hardware - unknown DTC symptom. (Telematics communication interface control module)
I have searched the codes online, yet, B126A keeps telling me the door lock is faulty on Ford/Toyotas there is nothing on what it means for Silverado.
B101D comes back as a faulty airbag module, is this true.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,914 Posts
If you are going to diagnose/work on this vehicle, I would suggest 2 things:

1. a subscription the full service manual. It has everything, all the codes the truck can generate, with vehicle-specific diagnostic procedures for how to find out what is causing them, repair procedures for most stuff (some parts it may treat as a black box, for my truck, it doesn't include much internal stuff about the transmission and transfer case), wiring diagrams, connector pinouts
2. a really good diagnostic computer. I got Autogenuity w gm enhancement so after I bought my truck 7 years ago, and it's worked very well for me, but if I had more knowledge back then, I would have probably tried to find a good used or knockoff tech ii setup (gm's unit for my generation truck), as it can do vehicle programming as well, and doesn't need a laptop all the time (AG is windows software + a usb-obdii cable). Your 2018 uses a different gm diagnostic tool, which I expect is MUCH more expensive to buy (tech ii's are cheaper as they only work for older vehicles, before sometime around 2012 or so I think).

Googling for generic diagnostic procedures for codes will kinda work, but likely will at least sometimes lead you down the wrong path...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are going to diagnose/work on this vehicle, I would suggest 2 things:

1. a subscription the full service manual. It has everything, all the codes the truck can generate, with vehicle-specific diagnostic procedures for how to find out what is causing them, repair procedures for most stuff (some parts it may treat as a black box, for my truck, it doesn't include much internal stuff about the transmission and transfer case), wiring diagrams, connector pinouts
2. a really good diagnostic computer. I got Autogenuity w gm enhancement so after I bought my truck 7 years ago, and it's worked very well for me, but if I had more knowledge back then, I would have probably tried to find a good used or knockoff tech ii setup (gm's unit for my generation truck), as it can do vehicle programming as well, and doesn't need a laptop all the time (AG is windows software + a usb-obdii cable). Your 2018 uses a different gm diagnostic tool, which I expect is MUCH more expensive to buy (tech ii's are cheaper as they only work for older vehicles, before sometime around 2012 or so I think).

Googling for generic diagnostic procedures for codes will kinda work, but likely will at least sometimes lead you down the wrong path...
I have an Autel AP200 Bluetooth unit that does a lot of in-depth diagnostic stuff. And seems to be pretty detailed, I'd rather not have to buy another tool, or do I need the GM compatible tool?

As far as the service manual, find the GM one or a Chilton's or Hayne's manual?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Chilton's/Haynes make good books, as the paper works well for starting fires (particularly Haynes), compared to the GM full service manual. I have a row of Haynes books for older vehicles, but since I got the GM FSM for my truck, I'm not going to buy another Haynes/Chilton's again. The Haynes book for my truck is maybe 200 pages, most of which is generic stuff they put in every book regardless of make/model/type, the GM FSM is 5 2000 page old school telephone books.

IDK what all the AP200 can do, either before or after you do their in-app purchases for additional features. It looks like it has more features than the basic stuff, but I doubt it has support for many of the diagnostic/repair procedures that the FSM has in it.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yeah, that AP200 is under $100, and the IAP is for each additional vehicle you want to use it with... It's better than the basic hand-held jobs, but not anywhere near what the techii or even autogenutiy w gm enhancement can do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that AP200 is under $100, and the IAP is for each additional vehicle you want to use it with... It's better than the basic hand-held jobs, but not anywhere near what the techii or even autogenutiy w gm enhancement can do.
Any recomendations on a TechII or MDI 2?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chilton's/Haynes make good books, as the paper works well for starting fires (particularly Haynes), compared to the GM full service manual. I have a row of Haynes books for older vehicles, but since I got the GM FSM for my truck, I'm not going to buy another Haynes/Chilton's again. The Haynes book for my truck is maybe 200 pages, most of which is generic stuff they put in every book regardless of make/model/type, the GM FSM is 5 2000 page old school telephone books.

IDK what all the AP200 can do, either before or after you do their in-app purchases for additional features. It looks like it has more features than the basic stuff, but I doubt it has support for many of the diagnostic/repair procedures that the FSM has in it.
Where did you get your FSM from?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I bought the paper version for my truck from ebay (and got lucky to buy a second copy from a local person soon after wrecking one of the volumes after driving off with it on the corner of my truck). helminc.com is, I believe, the designated supplier by gm for their manuals, but they might not have paper versions for new trucks like yours, just online subscriptions now.

alldatadiy.com and Do it Yourself Automobile Repair Manuals - Mitchell 1 DIY are two reputable sites for access to it.

I am not particularly versed on what code reader GM uses on newer trucks, I know the tech ii is for trucks up to early 201x, and then they switched to a different unit, it's probably that MDI2, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
99 silverado
25 Posts
I just bought a 2018 LTZ with the 8" touchscreen, my previous Silverado had the 7". It's been a few days since the purchase and I have noticed that the touchscreen is ghost touching and moving around while sitting idle. It is annoying to say the least, if I don't have Android Auto running, it'll change radio stations, open random apps, it's even changed some vehicle settings on it's own if I let it go long enough.

Unfortunately, my warranty from the dealer only covers "lubricated" items so, I'm pretty much on my own. I did take autobody in HS and have a few ASE Certs, so I know how to fix most things, however, this is a bit advanced for me. I normally work on older vehicles with less advanced infotainment and computers.

I believe the digitizer is going bad/is bad or the HMI module, I scanned the truck with my ODBII reader and got the following codes:
- B126A-00 | Internet application download performance. (Human machine interface module)
- B127E-00 | Front video display output signal. (Human machine interface module)
- B1325-03 | Control module power circuit - low voltage. (Radio)
- B101D-F2 | ECU hardware - unknown DTC symptom. (Telematics communication interface control module)
I have searched the codes online, yet, B126A keeps telling me the door lock is faulty on Ford/Toyotas there is nothing on what it means for Silverado.
B101D comes back as a faulty airbag module, is this true.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
any update on this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
any update on this?
Not yet, still looking into sourcing a MDI2 reader and manual for the truck. On the other hand I called my dealer and they will fix it for me as part of a bumper to bumper warranty I did not know I had, so I got that going for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts