Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third tyme since I bought my truck in December 2020 that the fuse block on my truck blows leaving me stranded. When a guy stopped to help me pull truck off the busy street and intersection I found like old oil grease underneath carriage. Also the Auto Stop works when it wants to, when I report it the answer I got was cabin pressure is why it doesn't work. I told them this is a NEW truck but they seem NOT to know they stuff. Anyone else been having such issues?

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
8,693 Posts
The Auto Start/Stop does not engage every time you stop the truck. Certain conditions will prevent it from working; engine temp, cabin temp vs what the A/C is set to, if it's too soon since you started the truck, etc., etc., etc. Should be explained in your owner's manual.

The other stuff, take it to a different dealer and get a second opinion.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
Is the truck 100% stock, no modifications what so ever?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Auto Start/Stop does not engage every time you stop the truck. Certain conditions will prevent it from working; engine temp, cabin temp vs what the A/C is set to, if it's too soon since you started the truck, etc., etc., etc. Should be explained in your owner's manual.

The other stuff, take it to a different dealer and get a second opinion.
OK thank you. Did not know that about the Auto Stop. Two different dealers have changed the fuse block. The last tyme was it did not even last a week.

· How-To Author, TOTM
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,463 Posts
Added in 2020 Speaker box and amp (professionally installed) and LED Lites under the fender wails.
Disconnect the aftermarket accessories and pull their associated circuit fuses and/or disconnect them TOTALLY from truck power and see what happens.
The electronics on these trucks have extreme sensitivity to any aftermarket electrical accessories, whether "professionally" installed or not.

Reactions: Z15 and RedSLEd

· Registered
774 Posts
Third tyme since I bought my truck in December 2020 that the fuse block on my truck blows leaving me stranded. When a guy stopped to help me pull truck off the busy street and intersection I found like old oil grease underneath carriage. Also the Auto Stop works when it wants to, when I report it the answer I got was cabin pressure is why it doesn't work. I told them this is a NEW truck but they seem NOT to know they stuff. Anyone else been having such issues?
Any of these things going on when it doesn't auto stop/start?

Auto Stops may not occur and/or Auto Starts may occur because:

. The climate control settings require the engine to be running to cool or heat the vehicle interior.
. The vehicle battery charge is low.
. The vehicle battery has recently been disconnected.
. Minimum vehicle speed has not been reached since the last Auto Stop.
. The accelerator pedal is pressed.
. The engine or transmission is not at the required operating temperature.
. The outside temperature is not in the required operating range.
. The vehicle is in any gear other than D (Drive).
. Tow/Haul Mode or other driver modes have been selected.
. The vehicle is on a steep hill or grade.
. The driver door has been opened or the driver seat belt has been unbuckled.
. The hood has been opened.
. The Auto Stop has reached the maximum allowed time.

· Registered
352 Posts
Sadly, there's no proof of that.

There's been independent studies on all that start an d stop bidness and it's about as worthless as active fuel management

Those that can afford the fuel should be driving an economy car... or get a second job!

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
You can claim that, but GM and others wouldn't bother with the expensive of including it in vehicles if it didn't.
They only bother to add it because of the GOVERNMENT ;) If the Government wasn't involved in the auto industry, NO vehicle would have half the $hit we have on our trucks.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,115 Posts
The gov't said they had to increase the mpg of the vehicle, they didn't say how. If turning the engine off when the vehicle was stopped did not increase the mpg of the vehicle, they wouldn't do it.

· Registered
2023 Silverado ZR2
124 Posts
The gov't said they had to increase the mpg of the vehicle, they didn't say how. If turning the engine off when the vehicle was stopped did not increase the mpg of the vehicle, they wouldn't do it.
You are correct...over the life of your vehicle, you will save 0.5 gallon of fuel...if you're lucky. Makes sense to me:oops:

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
8,693 Posts
On my wife's 4-cyl SUV, the auto start/stop has a meter. It saves about .001 gals for every 1 minute the engine is not idling. I'm not going to do the math to figure out how much it would save over the life of the vehicle, but it ain't much. I believe the primary purpose of the system is to reduce emissions. Any gas 'savings' is a bonus.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts