Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum from Texas.
Back in the day, it was common to put mud tires on rear of 2wd, with street tires on front. However, you don't see that much today. More commonly, you see mud tires all the way around a 2wd, which I think is silly and a waste. Anyway, I thought about sticking some mud tires on the rear of my 2007 crew cab 2wd, and my 19 yo son said it would look weird. It seemed natural to me, but I am 52. I started looking around and you just don't see it. So, does anyone have any pics of crew cab 2wd with mud on rear and street on front? I googled for pics, but no luck, which might answer my question. Am I that dated?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
lol. good luck finding that old hillbilly fad. Not only did it look like dook but it didn't help when it came time to rotate the tires. Leveled 2wd trucks look just as good as 4wd trucks. Please don't tell us you have a 77 Camaro with N50's, air shocks, mailbox hood scoop, and footprint gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It isn't useless to have aggressive tread on the front too. You gotta steer!
Plus, being able to rotate the tires is always a good thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess tastes vary. I can't convince myself to raise the front end of a 2wd and add mud tires to make it LOOK like a 4wd. Concerning tire rotation, there is nothing wrong with side to side swaps. I was looking for opinions and I got them, regardless of how impractical they may be.

·
Registered
22,408 Posts
listen to your son. Its similar with snow tires. you "can" just ad them to the drive tires. But that will only help plow you through the snow and will do nothing to aid in stopping or steering in the slick.

I remember when this was a fad in highschool. guys would put blocks in the rear of their 2wd to run 33 MTs and leave the front stock because they couldn't afford to lift the front and buy four tires.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i mean if youre wanting to go mudding in a 2wd first off.... ok.
2nd- leveling it isnt so much so it can look like a 4wd...it actually obviously helps with ground clearance up front which is useful.
im not a fan of different tires, especially two different category. i mean i could say AT up front and MT in back... but i still wouldnt do it. just me

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
4691 said:
I guess tastes vary. I can't convince myself to raise the front end of a 2wd and add mud tires to make it LOOK like a 4wd.
It's not to make it look 4wd. it's for a little extra ground clearance and to make it sit level. Rake on anything never looks good. Didn't even look good in the 70's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I should probably think more modern. I've owned several 4wd, when my work demanded it, but I just don't need one now. I still get in the dirt/mud occassionally and would like some aggressive tires on back, but refuse to put them on front. It may look good, but I would be embarrassed to keep saying, "no, it's a 2wd, I just put those on to be more modern".

Maybe an AT all the way around wouldn't be too bad.

I'm the same way with clothes. My wife says I'm old fashioned.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
jean shorts and muscle shirts?

I have a coworker that has a 2wd sitting on 38's. Now that's as useless as a screen door on a submarine and we bust his balls about it all the time. but leveled with aggressive tread ain't bad.

·
Registered
22,408 Posts
its not being modern, just because people realized the MT on just the rear was silly, its being smart. 80% of the offroad pre runner offroad trucks are 2wd that are lifted and aggressive tires. Just because you don't need 4wd to go places doesn't mean you don't also need a 2wd with good tires and ground clearance.

ATs all around would look better yes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes sir, throw you some ground hawgs on the back and go anywhere you want to go. our old 76 gmc is set up that way at the farm, but the guys have a point, getting 4 matching does make life easier and the price of tires, there are deals on packages, buy 3 get one free etc....a nice allterrain like the BFG should get you through without anyone questioning them not being on a 4x4. I also like the toyo AT, had them on a f250 and they did well street and dirt. I am like you though, i now have a 2016 silverado doublecab 2wd. just did the leveling kit and looking to prob go back with a set of 32" TOYO ATs. truck is too expensive to tear up in the mud, thats what the ATV is for !!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I thought the 2wd crewcabs used torsion bars/keys. just crank up the torsion bars or replace with Ford keys for the cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
its anything like my 2016, it is simple, upper ball joint, sway bar link, tie rod/steering link, drop the strut, put in spacer, bolt back up. i did the lower spacer so i didn't have to remove the whole strut assy, just loosened the top 3 bolts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gmcdaniel1964 said:
I just installed these on my 2005 Crew cab along with a set of Rough Country RS5000 series shocks on the front and back. I'm happy with them so far. Hopefully in the not to distant future I'll be adding some LT275-70 R17 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

http://www.superlift.com/2-inch-gm-fron ... =criteocpc
I've been looking at the adjustable Bilstein shocks for the front, since I need new shocks anyway. I can get new shocks and the lift I need, without dismantling the front end.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts