Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a 3.0 duramax with the max trailering package? I am interested in hearing your observations about the package while towing an RV. Considering trading my 2500 for the 3.0 as I tow a travel trailer only twice a year. I don't want to drive the 2500 daily.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Yep, in 2012 and 2013, GMC only made a few thousand of them. Most folks don't know they exist.

·
Registered
08 Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
1,439 Posts
And apparently GM does not build them out of the blue for dealer lots. It’s a special order only option now.

I wanted a 3.0 with the max trailering package but you don’t get the 2 speed transfer case. You have to get the single speed and don’t get 4 low.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's weird! Have built dozens of them this year and last with the NHT package and the 2-speed transfer case. Recent change with the diesel? I usually pick the 6.2 which all of a sudden does not have the 13K tow rating. At first you could get 13K with 18 inch wheels and then they made it necessary to choose 20s! As of last week, there is no 13K option with a Crew Cab, just the double cab diesel. Unless of course their website is messed up which would not surprise me. 1500 GMCs cannot get tow mirrors on the Build Your Own either! LOL

Oh yeah, must be a new thing. I could not get the 2-speed and did have the option for tow mirrors with the double cab diesel. Too bad. We like to play off-road and haul heavy loads!

Ok, just "built" a CC Short Bed with 6.2 and NHT and got the 2-speed but no option to get the tow mirrors.

Ok, "built" a CC Short Bed with the Diesel and NHT, not 2-speed, no tow mirrors.

So they took away the 2-speed transfer case from the diesel engine with NHT. Maybe with the 3.73 gears it exceeds torque ratings of the TC or Transmission?

Probably, got the 2-speed with the X31 and diesel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's weird! Have built dozens of them this year and last with the NHT package and the 2-speed transfer case. Recent change with the diesel? I usually pick the 6.2 which all of a sudden does not have the 13K tow rating. At first you could get 13K with 18 inch wheels and then they made it necessary to choose 20s! As of last week, there is no 13K option with a Crew Cab, just the double cab diesel. Unless of course their website is messed up which would not surprise me. 1500 GMCs cannot get tow mirrors on the Build Your Own either! LOL

Oh yeah, must be a new thing. I could not get the 2-speed and did have the option for tow mirrors with the double cab diesel. Too bad. We like to play off-road and haul heavy loads!

Ok, just "built" a CC Short Bed with 6.2 and NHT and got the 2-speed but no option to get the tow mirrors.

Ok, "built" a CC Short Bed with the Diesel and NHT, not 2-speed, no tow mirrors.

So they took away the 2-speed transfer case from the diesel engine with NHT. Maybe with the 3.73 gears it exceeds torque ratings of the TC or Transmission?

Probably, got the 2-speed with the X31 and diesel.
I ordered a Chevy Lt crew cab 3.0 max trailering. The dealership said it was a special order only. The dealer called Tuesday said my truck was in the rail yard in Cincinnati, but didn't know when it would arrive at the dealership. I'm glad I ordered when I did as they have the 3.0 on constraint until the 2023 models, then it will have the LM0.

·
Registered
453 Posts
NHT only available on SLE, 3SB version of Elevation and SLT
2 Speed case is only available with X31
NHT is not available with X31

NHT Max Trailering Package, includes 9.76" rear axle, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator

SLE and 3SB Elevation - Not available with (TRE) stock order types. Available for (SRE) sold order types only.
Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires. Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller.
Not available with 22" LPO wheels or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.
Available to order with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine.

SLT - Requires (ZL6) ProGrade Trailering System.
When ordered with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine (NHT) is not available with (TRE) stock order types.
Available for (SRE) sold order types only with (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine.

(L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine is available for (TRE) stock order types. Requires (L84) 5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine and 18" or 20" wheels and tires.
Not available with 22" LPO wheels, or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.
Available to order with (LM2) Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6 engine.

NQH Transfer case, two-speed, electronic Autotrac with push button control (4WD models only)

Pro - Included and only available with (X31) X31 Off-Road Package or available as a SEO free flow option on TK10903 or TK10703.

SLE and 3SB version of Elevation - Included and only available with (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.

SLT - Included and only available with (L87) 6.2L EcoTec3 V8 engine or (X31) X31 Off-Road Package.

AT4X - Includes Terrain mode.

Standard on AT4, AT4X, Denali, Denali Ultimate

·
Registered
453 Posts
I ordered a Chevy Lt crew cab 3.0 max trailering. The dealership said it was a special order only. The dealer called Tuesday said my truck was in the rail yard in Cincinnati, but didn't know when it would arrive at the dealership. I'm glad I ordered when I did as they have the 3.0 on constraint until the 2023 models, then it will have the LM0.
The 3.0L becomes the LZ0 for 2023 MY

LZ0 Engine, Duramax 3.0L Turbo-Diesel I6
1 - Includes (KW5) 220-amp alternator and (K05) engine block heater.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
So it looks like I'll be getting a 23MY since I ordered last Tuesday, 6/14? So, because of that, does anybody have any idea if I will get what I ordered, just with the 3.0 having a different code? I guess I am going to get a truck with whatever changes they are making and not what they were for the 22MY? I knew I should have ordered 3 weeks ago so I could get the MY22 since I don't know what changes will come with the 23MY.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,636 Posts
6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. I does suck that you cant choose but just sure as you would have ordered and got the MY22 you would have wanted the MY23 once everything was released or at least that typically how things go for me.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So it looks like I'll be getting a 23MY since I ordered last Tuesday, 6/14? So, because of that, does anybody have any idea if I will get what I ordered, just with the 3.0 having a different code? I guess I am going to get a truck with whatever changes they are making and not what they were for the 22MY? I knew I should have ordered 3 weeks ago so I could get the MY22 since I don't know what changes will come with the 23MY.
GM has not released any info about the LZ0 except that it is a 3.0L diesel.

When the changed the 2.7L turbo for 22, it go a stiffer block and higher output ratings...

Do you know if the order got accepted already?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
GM has not released any info about the LZ0 except that it is a 3.0L diesel.

When the changed the 2.7L turbo for 22, it go a stiffer block and higher output ratings...

Do you know if the order got accepted already?
Last I heard was that it had not been picked up yet and that was earlier this week. They did say that it takes about 2 weeks for GM to pick the order but that the 3.0 trucks were taking a bit longer to be picked up. I'm going to check in next week and see where it's at and if it's been picked up or if they can give me an estimate on when it will be picked up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To try to answer your question, I have a 2021 GMC with the 3.0 diesel. It does not have the max trailer package.
I tow a 2017 Winnie Mini 2108FBS on fairly long tours (2,000-3,000 miles) on a regular basis. The TT weighs 3800 dry, and about 4500-4700 loaded.
Staying at a conservative 65mph while towing, I achieve about 15.5 to 16 mpg of diesel, and it consumes a gallon of DEF every 350 miles. The truck tows effortlessly, it downshifts on hills, but typically pulls at around 1600 RPM all day long. In the year I have owned it, I have towed about 9,000 miles.
Without the trailer, I typically achieve 25-28 MPG and about 900-1000 miles per gallon of DEF. It is awesome for all sorts of trips, short or long. Plenty of power/torque to get moving, and it chugs all day long at 75-80 mph on the interstate.

I am spoiled by this truck!

·
Registered
824 Posts
My 2022 refreshed Chevy LT with the duramax and Max Trailering package arrived at the dealer today. Will pick it up tomorrow. I am driving it to New York from Ohio Friday to break it in. Hoping for the same experience.
Post up a pic of that towing and load sticker in the door jamb when you can and of course, pics of the whole rig! Congratulations and good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts