Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· TOTM
1,781 Posts
You can copy and paste it without using those buttons at the bottom. You can also drag and drop it right into the message as well.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Post up a pic of that towing and load sticker in the door jamb when you can and of course, pics of the whole rig! Congratulations and good luck!
Just got back from Ny, drove about 900 miles for break in. Got 32 mpg at 70 mph, and this with the 373 rear end. I am impressed. Curb weight is 5550 and payload is 1750. Payload is lower that I anticipated but is workable. Haven't had time to figure out how to post pictures yet.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I am trying to get my weight Distributing hitch set up and trying to figure out how much payload capacity I had left when I read this in the 2022 Silverado trailering guide.

Maximum Trailer Weight Rating This rating is determined by subtracting the tow vehicle’s weight (curb weight) from the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR). Base vehicle (curb) weight plus 150 lbs. each for the driver and a front passenger is used, so additional passengers, equipment and cargo weight reduce this rating. This rating can be found on the Trailering Information Label located on the doorframe for Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado HD, Suburban and Tahoe.

Am I reading this right? I looks like they are including 150 lbs for the driver and front passenger in the curb weight.

· Registered
780 Posts
I am trying to get my weight Distributing hitch set up and trying to figure out how much payload capacity I had left when I read this in the 2022 Silverado trailering guide.

Maximum Trailer Weight Rating This rating is determined by subtracting the tow vehicle’s weight (curb weight) from the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR). Base vehicle (curb) weight plus 150 lbs. each for the driver and a front passenger is used, so additional passengers, equipment and cargo weight reduce this rating. This rating can be found on the Trailering Information Label located on the doorframe for Silverado 1500, Silverado 1500 LTD, Silverado HD, Suburban and Tahoe.

Am I reading this right? I looks like they are including 150 lbs for the driver and front passenger in the curb weight.
There will be a capacity label on the door post, with numbers specific to your trucks vin.
(there are 3 labels in total)

They have done the math for you....

Nice looking truck.
Congrats.

· TOTM
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
1,042 Posts
Payload is driver, passenger and cargo and this number is specific to each truck based on OEM options added at the factory. If you add 300 lbs of accessories, payload is reduced that amount. All this stuff adds up quick on a 1500. Adding LT tires which are heavier that P rated. It’s well known 1500’s run out of payload before towing capacity.
This number is calculated by subtracting curb weight from GVWR. Curb weight is with all fluids inc fuel.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

· Registered
1 Posts
Tonight, I just ordered a 2023 Sierra 1500 Double cab, with the new LZ0 3.0L diesel. I added the X31 off road package instead of the heavy duty trailer package. Our RV trailer is 3500#s, plus gear, and two dirt bikes in the bed. I want to be able to drive 72-75mph all day without killing the truck. Should I change my order, replacing the X31 off-road package for the Max towing package? The dealer told me it was only a gearing change in the rear end, no additional transmission or engine cooling, so I went with the off-road package and the duel speed trans with 4H & 4L. What do you think?

· Registered
120 Posts
Tonight, I just ordered a 2023 Sierra 1500 Double cab, with the new LZ0 3.0L diesel. I added the X31 off road package instead of the heavy duty trailer package. Our RV trailer is 3500#s, plus gear, and two dirt bikes in the bed. I want to be able to drive 72-75mph all day without killing the truck. Should I change my order, replacing the X31 off-road package for the Max towing package? The dealer told me it was only a gearing change in the rear end, no additional transmission or engine cooling, so I went with the off-road package and the duel speed trans with 4H & 4L. What do you think?
Below is a calculator for determing rpm's at a certain speed. I ran the numbers between the off road package and the max tow package with 22" tires and came up with this:
X31 package has 3.23 gears, .64 with the transmission in 10th gear with 33" tall tires would get you 1473 rpms at 70 mph.
The max trailer package has 3.73 gears and that would net you at 1701 rpms at 70 mph.
Here is the calculator for you: Calculate RPM for Given Speed(MPH), Rear Gear Ratio, and Trans Gear Ratio.

I went with the max trailer package.

· TOTM
1,781 Posts
Below is a calculator for determing rpm's at a certain speed. I ran the numbers between the off road package and the max tow package with 22" tires and came up with this:
X31 package has 3.23 gears, .64 with the transmission in 10th gear with 33" tall tires would get you 1473 rpms at 70 mph.
The max trailer package has 3.73 gears and that would net you at 1701 rpms at 70 mph.
Here is the calculator for you: Calculate RPM for Given Speed(MPH), Rear Gear Ratio, and Trans Gear Ratio.

I went with the max trailer package.
I made an excel spreadsheet for the different GM transmissions so we can play around with tire sizes and gearing and even takes into consideration the tread depth of the tire.

This forum no longer allows us to post excel spreadsheets so if anyone is interested, send me a PM or email and I'll send it over.

This is a partial screen shot of one calculator:

Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Pattern

· TOTM
1,781 Posts
swathdiver, great chart, however, I did click on my link and it took me to the calculator, as it is not an excel spreadsheet, just a link.
I understand, just posted a picture of mine and offered it to anyone as it is more accurate and one can see a whole lot more data. That one is off by nearly 50 rpms as it computes the tire as being perfectly round and some other things.

· Registered
780 Posts
The 3.0 / 10 speed will happily run all day at 72 -75.
Probably in 10th.

But it won't matter if it want's to run in 9th, or to shift lower in heavy grade or aero conditions.
With the 10 speed, the ratios are so close together and with the diesel torque at low rpm, you aren't going to get the downshift and race the engine thing that can happen with other transmissions and gas engines.

Mine doing daily driver duty (not loaded heavy, not towing) in the 55 -60 mph range runs all day in 9th.
Doesn't seem to shift to 10th unless cruising aver about 62 (although once it shifts it will hold the gear slower than that)

I guess my point is it could also happily tow in a lower gear, if grades and trailer aero load require it -- but I'd expect at the speeds and loads you are suggesting that it will use 10th.

· Registered
4 Posts
I ordered a Chevy Lt crew cab 3.0 max trailering. The dealership said it was a special order only. The dealer called Tuesday said my truck was in the rail yard in Cincinnati, but didn't know when it would arrive at the dealership. I'm glad I ordered when I did as they have the 3.0 on constraint until the 2023 models, then it will have the LM0.
If you have received your vehicle, do you have any on the transfer case? Can you please post a picture of the transfer controls in the truck.

· Registered
2023 Silverado LTZ - 3.0L LZ0 w/ Max Tow
1 Posts
Super pumped. I pick up my '23 LTZ 3.0L Duramax w/ Max Tow on Saturday! It is indeed a bit of a unicorn as no dealer's buy them to stock on their lots. My order was placed November 8, with a TPW of Jan 2, 2023. GM hit their target at the Fort Wayne plant and got the truck built and shipped pretty quickly.

I bought the truck to tow our 6000 lb travel trailer for the summer. The past three years we've gotten into long (4 week) summer roadtrips hauling the trailer around Ontario and out to Nova Scotia. My current 2015 Silverado with the 5.3L works, but if you have any sense of mechanical sympathy, you'll realize it's working a bit too hard sometimes! I'm just outside of Toronto and won't be able to report back on towing my 6000lb travel trailer until May, but I do hope to be able to report back positive reviews about other stuff in the near future.

Thanks to everyone for posting throughout the years - I agonized for months over what to order to solve my summer roadtrip hauling issue and many of the posts on this site, and others like it, have proved invaluable. Cheers to you all and Happy Trucking!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts