Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
3.0 Diesel RST 4X4 Silverado Crew Cab
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Still very early in my ownership experience for the 3.0 Diesel RST 4X4 Silverado Crew Cab and I have been very happy so far. It's still summer temperatures and this will drop over the winter, I'm sure, but my last two tanks have averaged 25.4 and 25.8 MPG (Calculated by fill by total mileage/fill amount- DIC usually underestimates actual MPG) in mostly city driving- but I've got a commute where you can time the lights pretty well most of the time. Range gets close to 600 Miles if you do the math, my longest tank was 580 so far. These MPG figures are also being produced AFTER the 2" Factory lift was installed at a dealership front and rear so it's got the Trail Boss suspension but the RST 33" OD Factory 20" wheels as can be seen in the photo.

LOVE the truck so far, just under 4k miles- obviously very early- and no reliability issues to report. It's getting very good MPG, has great sightlines, great interior and is just a fun vehicle. The 10 speed auto combined with the heavy torque gives it great driveability. When I got it from the dealership the DEF gauge showed only half full, still have not had to top it off. Regen cycles, perhaps 1 to 2 per tank, are often not noticeable but I'll admit that if you're in very slow stop-and-go traffic you will notice the smell.

After the factory 2" Lift. I highly recommend this lift as it increased ground clearance noticeably and was a verified 2 1/16" lift measured at the fender @ wheel centerline all around.

Another Post-Lift angle and after Ceramic Window tint @ 40 rear and back plus 20 front driver/passenger:

Before the 2" Lift

· Registered
2022 GMC Sierra Ultimate (ordered)
26 Posts
I’ve got the 3.0 in a new Denali Yukon and just ordered a Sierra Ultimate with 3.0. I love the engine and mpg’s are a welcomed change. I got over 600 miles in my first tank in my Yukon.

· Registered
1 Posts
I've had my AT4 for 18 months and 43k. No issues and utterly reliable. Hauled a truck camper all over out west last summer in 100deg heat and never really broke a sweat! Handles Wisconsin winters like a champ as well. -15 not plugged in and fired right up! I change the oil every 6-7k and the fuel filter at around 20k miles. Other than that, it's been a great truck!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
26 Posts
My Sierra Denali is being built as we speak. It’s a week ahead of schedule. Call mike, you can eve set up courtesy delivery. Mike Neglio is awesome and is responsive. Contact me via PM for Mike's number.

· Registered
Gustafson
557 Posts
My Sierra Denali is being built as we speak. It’s a week ahead of schedule. Call mike, you can eve set up courtesy delivery. Mike Neglio is awesome and is responsive. Contact me via PM for Mike's number.
Was this directed at me? I'm in Michigan. I don't think they'll courtesy deliver that far. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
26 Posts
Was this directed at me? I'm in Michigan. I don't think they'll courtesy deliver that far. :ROFLMAO:
I’m in Texas and they do, courtesy delivery is set up between dealers. That way you don’t have to travel to Idaho, you go to a participating local dealer and pick it up. When it leaves factory it goes to dealer closer to you.

· Registered
11 Posts
I just returned from a trip to Arkansas, bout 1300 miles. My typical mpg was 27 hauling butt at 75MPH all the way on interstates. Best mileage was 27.5 by hand calculation. The Trip Calculator seems to be a bit on the low side, it typically showed about 27MPG, and the hand calculations were about a 1/2 to a full MPG better.

My towing mileage is a respectable 15-17MPG depending on elevation changes and more importantly headwind towing a 4500lb fully loaded RV (Winnebago Micro-Mini 2106FBS). However, the towing experience is excellent, plenty of torque to pull you up grades.

I now have about 19,000 miles on the odometer, love this truck. It is a heavily optioned Denali, more than I would have ordered. However, with vehicle constraints, it was what was available at the time, and I have changed my mind about spending money on the extras. The camera system on this truck is unbelievable, I can put this beast into a parking spot like butter. I can back to a trailer and put the ball right under the hitch on the first try. The side cameras really help with lane changes in heavy traffic, they provide a great visual down the side of the trailer so you don't have to worry about hitting something during lane changes.

Overall, 10/10 on this truck!

· Registered
3.0 Diesel RST 4X4 Silverado Crew Cab
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As an update I have had a couple of the crank, no-start incidents, will have to report this to the dealer, may wait until the next oil change. The truck is passing 7K miles and has had its first oil change now and, if anything, is running better than it used to! The 10 speed transmission is pure perfection, shifts are smooth and well timed and think the motor is running more smoothly/quietly. Paint and overall fit and finish are miles ahead of the 2019 F150 that I traded to get this truck, loving the factory 2" lift as it now sits like a truck should.

In 7k miles I have added 5 gallons of DEF and the gauge is now sitting at 3/4 to give you an idea of how little DEF this thing consumes in light use. Have not towed.

· Registered
'21 White Silverado LTZ Z71 Short Bed Duramax 3.0
14 Posts
I got mine in January of 2022. I've just hit 6,000 miles, used about 5.5 gallons of DEF. I'm getting incredible mileage for a full-sized truck with a few hundred pounds of tools in the back at all times, but I'm not hitting 30mpg. My highest seems to be about 26.5. It's still pretty cold in NY, I'm wondering if I can do 1-2 mpg better in the nice warm weather.

In my gas Silverado I used to get excited if I went 400 miles on a full tank. Now I'm getting excited to see 550, for the first time in my life I can fuel up once per week like most folks do.

The guys hitting 30mpg, I'm wondering if your average speeds are a little lower? Here it's either slow traffic 10-20mph or it's 75-85mph on the highway, no real in-between. I think I'm just not getting the chance to do a decent distance in that 50-60mph sweet spot.

The only way I know I'm in a regen cycle is due to the slight change in exhaust tone. (it actually sounds badass) Once I smelled the "pig piss" when I suddenly had to come to an emergency stop on a highway in Vermont, but all the other times I've been moving and never so much as caught a whiff.

I think I'm most impressed with the transmission, it shifts as smooth as a Lexus LX470 I had back in the day.

I really have no complaints, but if I was forced to complain about something, it's that damn oil pressure gauge. In my engineering days we went by criteria for gauge sizing, a gauge was supposed to be sized according to a percentage above it's designed maximum and below it's minimum. Choosing a gauge with a 0-120psi range on a vehicle whose normal operating pressure is 30psi is completely ridiculous, and someone would have lost their job..... No driving enthusiast would be content with this gauge, I constantly look down thinking my oil pressure is low.

· Registered
774 Posts
I agree about the gauge sizing -- for the same reason.

The other engines run higher pressure.
Seems they don't change the gauge face when a 3.0 is installed.

Otoh, the computer is already monitoring every sensor that is installed...and is ready to act/notify if necessary.

· Registered
158 Posts
I'm happy with my 3.0 L Duramax too. But I wish they had the RST available at my dealership. You get a lot of extras for the same price as an LT with aftermarket wheels. my MSRP was $54K and I added $2K for the 20" wheels and tires and $560 to upgrade the sound. $500 for the spray on bed liner. I'm already pushing over $57K with a bit of extras and I still don't have the upgraded suspension.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts