Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. So i wanted to know if anyone else that has a silverado with the 4.3 ecotec has noticed how much oil does it take to fill crankcase. The manual says it takes 6 quarts but mine actually takes 6.5 quarts. Im always fighting with the dealer wer i get my oil change n they only put 6 quarts n my truck is always 1/2 quart low. Any comments would be helpful

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
are you checking your oil right after the truck has been running? If so, it takes a while for all the oil to drain back to the bottom of the pan. It is best to wait until the truck has been sitting for about 15 minutes to get an accurate reading. The other issue could be a problem with the dip stick. If you can swing it, find another truck with the 4.3L and try that dip stick to see if the reading comes out the same.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
If you have been over servicing your truck with an extra half quart I'm sure it just puked it out your crank case vent and into your intake. Might want to check in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i wait a while for oil to drain down into oil pan. ive also checked it before i turn it on at the start of day. So i have verified that 6 quarts does not fill my crankcase. I have a buddy that use to work at a gmc dealership n he told me that gm had made a mistake on the owners manual.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
6.0 qts is what it takes. 1/2 qt is not going to have any significance what so ever.

The 1/2 qt error has to do with the 5.3L and 6.2L where the manual says 8.5 qts when in reality its 8 qts.

Official GM 2015 Oil Capacity Chart

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
I seriously doubt that if GM made a mistake in the owners manual they haven't taken big steps to fix or mitigate that problem through mailings and other methods of notification. Otherwise, they open themselves to massive lawsuites through class action.

Have you ever changed your own oil where you are the one pouring the oil in the crankcase. Most shops use what they call bulk oil which is in 55 gallon drums and it is pumped out. I would do your own change and measure how much goes back in yourself or at least have a second shop do it and ask them to verify exactly how much they pour in.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
incorrect. my 2015 OM calls for 8.5 quarts. It was made at the end of 2015 and they knew that the 5.3 only takes 8. No one has instructed me to use less oil suggested by the OM other than physically doing it my self and double checking info provided by Z15

I should start a lawsuit though

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im getting the free oil changes for now. But yes i usually change my own oil so im just waiting to run out of freebies. N then i will start changing myself. N yes u r correct..they grab oil from a 55 gallon drum. But they still have a way of measuring it.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
FYI.........5.3L and 6.2L notice

DATE 05/11/2015
SUBJECT The Engine Oil Capacity - with Oil Filter Has Changed

MODELS 2014 - 2015 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban, Silverado, GMC Yukon, Sierra, Denali Equipped with GEN V V8 Engines - 5.3L RPO L83, 5.3L RPO L8B or 6.2L RPO L86

TO Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC Dealers

ATTN Parts and Service Director, Parts Manager, Parts Counter Personnel, Service Advisor, Service Manager, Service Technician, and Fleet and Commercial Managers

The Engine Oil Capacity - with Oil Filter for all GEN V, V8 5.3L and 6.2L engines has been reduced from 8.5 quarts to 8.0 quarts.
This change has been implemented in SI and will be reflected in future Owner Manuals.

Thank you for your cooperation.
END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.