Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a questions that I cannot seem to get answered. I have a 1997 Chevy Cheyenne Truck with a 4.3 Vortec. I would like to know how new of a motor I can use to replace the one I have now. Can I use say a 2002 thru 2010 4.3. any advise. thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
All of the 4.3s in chevy trucks from 96 to 2006 (07 if it's a classic) were nearly identical,
the 2007 and up new body 4.3s had electronic throttle control and coil pack ignition instead of a distributor ,
but I wouldn't be surprised if they still had a distributor gear on the camshaft.
Also at some point in the 2000s they went to a returnless fuel system,
but you should be able to just retain your intake manifold and swap it onto the new motor for any 96- 06 4.3 litre.
I bet the 07 and up ones would work two, but you would have to make sure about the distributor gear on
the cam.

By the way I am not a mechanic, or an expert ,
just stating what I believe is accurate.

Joe

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also interested to know about the distributor gear on the '07+ trucks. Researching a cam swap on my '11 & wanting to know whether cams for the pre '07 trucks will physically interchange.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not to much experience with the 4.3 to know but what is the reason you want to replace the motor? Is it just worn out? I have no idea of your budget but if your going to replace the motor, a little extra work could be done to swap in a Gen III or IV V8 to really up the ante. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. the reason I am sticking with the V6 is due to the cost of the engine swap to a V8. Granite I would love to go to a 5.7 or 5.3, but from what I understand it is very costly and I haven't seen anyone doing it. everyone seems to do it in the S-10 trucks but not the C1500 trucks. I have been told if I want a V8 that I should sale this truck and find one that already has the V8 in it.

Shawn

·
Registered
533 Posts
The 4.3 will get you all the speeding tickets you can afford to pay.
Plus you can probably get a great low mileage one for next to nothing, since everyone thinks they need a v8.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.