Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past few months, my truck would whistle when it's below 50ish degrees upon startup. Now as long as it's under 50 degrees it does it all the time. The colder it is the louder it gets. I've checked pulleys, bearings, vacuum lines... everything (I think). I can't put my finger on what the noise is! It's there between ~1400-2500 RPM. Here are two quick videos. I can post a better one tomorrow.

· Registered
554 Posts
Have someone sit inside the truck, and while standing outside listen for the sound. Have them slowly accelerate the engine (in park) until you get to the range the noise happens. It could be the alternator, a pulley/serpentine belt, or even the intake.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took all the belts off and ran the engine in my driveway, still making the noise. Now have the noise to something within the intake manifold but could not find the issue. The noise is completely temperature dependent so I decided to take her to the dealership. They couldn't figure out the noise either until they claimed there is a crack in the intake manifold. Well I never touched the Manifold, they however changed the intake manifold gasket making them the ones responsible for the issue. The truck has been there for a little over a week now and no call yet... It may be time to get a duramax...

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They finally called, telling me I need an all new manifold which will cost $800.00. Well I wasnt too happy to hear that considering it is their fault its broken in the first place. After discussing the issue with a service manager, he found a used one for $550. They still wont cover their mistake... :evil:

· Registered
39 Posts
Mine has a whistle too. Not sure if its the same sound that you're getting, but when it stomp on the throttle, the thing sounds like its got a supercharger. But I don't notice any noise at normal throttle application.

I think it sounds awesome, and it might just be the air intake. I'm thinking of putting a CAI on it soon as well. My truck is a 2010 Silverado with about 73,450 miles on it.

· Registered
11 Posts
I had a whistle after replacing my knock sensors and intake manifold gaskets and it ended up being my EGR hose that goes into the manifold it can be annoying to be bent into shape how it's supposed to go even the slightest crack cause an intake leak and an audible whistle, just takes some manipulating if the EGR is your issue I would check that if they have not fixed the issue.

Ended up removing EGR 2 weeks later because its useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.