Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the transmission in my 2005 4.8L 4x4 went. I managed to score a good deal on a 2005 4x4 tranny, but it's out of a 5.3L. ( I still have my old used trans) When cleaning it up I realized that the t-case doesn't seem to fit correctly onto the 5.3L trans. Can I swap some parts from the 4.8L trans to the 5.3L to make my transfer case work or am I going to have to find a different transfer case? ( The 4.8L tranny is the dirty/dusty one) thanks for any help

Attachments

· Registered
302 Posts
Swap the transfer case adapter from the old transmission to the new one.I don't think your issue is due to the different motors but the model of transfer cases.Im willing to bet one truck hade a manual shift transfer case and the other a electric shift transfer case or maybe one was all wheel drive.Also there is a seal between the adapter and the transmission and a gasket in between the adapter and the transfer case you should replace those while you are at it.The transfer case adapter is #2,The seal is #1 and the gasket is #4.

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!! I noticed the transmission I bought was from a sierra and my truck is a Silverado, could that be the difference? Either way I swapped the t-case adapter and wellah! Fits perfect. My only concern is will it throw a code on fire up also this is my first tranny install and lol any comments or tips appreciated! Thanks for the response!

· Registered
302 Posts
Keen3eyE said:
Thank you!! I noticed the transmission I bought was from a sierra and my truck is a Silverado, could that be the difference? Either way I swapped the t-case adapter and wellah! Fits perfect. My only concern is will it throw a code on fire up also this is my first tranny install and lol any comments or tips appreciated! Thanks for the response!
Silverado or sierra won't make a difference.The powertrain and drivetrain is the same between the 2 models.Nope,you should be good to go as long as the new transmission is good.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you! Hey another quick question, will the torque converter from the 5.3 be fine for my 4.8? Or will it be a little bit laggy? The tq is brand new so I'd like to use it. But if it isn't a good combo I'll find a new one

· Registered
302 Posts
Keen3eyE said:
Ok thank you! Hey another quick question, will the torque converter from the 5.3 be fine for my 4.8? Or will it be a little bit laggy? The tq is brand new so I'd like to use it. But if it isn't a good combo I'll find a new one
Use the torque converter from the new transmission.Both transmissions are the same part number,no need to swap them around.There is no telling what is floating around in your old one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.