Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 silverado short bed with extended cab. Runs a 5.3 with the 4l60e. While driving to work one morning I realized I wasn't hitting all the shifts and was running high Rpms after some research I found my 3-4 clutch packs was burned out and decided to try my hand at rebuilding the transmission. After some time and research I had replaced the clutches and rebuilt the pump. When I reinstalled everything and I get nothing. Barely wants to move forward. No reverse at all and it barely wants to creep forward. Decided something must be wrong so I took it out and redid everything but after install still nothing. So I admitted defeat and got a new transmission. Problem is that it does the exact some thing. No reverse, creeps forward but only with heavy throttle and I can't select low gears. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

· Registered
149 Posts
There's a little box on the side of the trans housing where the shift cable attaches too. That could be messed up. When you pulled that off to do the rebuild did you sand the shaft any. It's mushrooms a little bit and if the box if forced off the shaft I have heard of it damaging it. Sounds like an electrical issue for sure.. If you didn't replace your torque converter with the new trans then I would look there as well. Usually new trans come with torque converters though

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did use a separate torque converter. I also thought it may be an electrical problem. Replaced the shift positioning sensor but nothing changed still. It may be the pigtails that connect to it but I have yet to find anywhere to buy them that isn't a junk yard. I'd prefer to get them new

· Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm, replaced mines 800 miles ago with a new TC and had no issues until the fuel pump decided to take a dump on me (totally unrelated). 4L60E's are tempermental and all have to be near perfect for it to shift correctly. My guess is your issue is electrical and could be something simple as a poor connection or bad wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.