Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is another thread on a donor vehicle I'm purchasing today for my T-bucket roadster project. The vehicle I'm getting is a 5.3 Tahoe with the 4L60E. I'm wondering if there's any way to control the shifting of the trans manually, without the computer. Does anybody know? Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wildchevy said:
in short no, but you can buy a stand alone controller for it from GM and several other companies.
You have a link to said controller?

I know there's the option of throwing a TH350 or Powerglide behind it, but it might be cool to have OD in a T-bucket roadster if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This is going to be a major budget build. I'll probably have less than $6-7k in it by the time it's done, painted, and driving.

· Registered
6,883 Posts
nickpohlaandp said:
wildchevy said:
in short no, but you can buy a stand alone controller for it from GM and several other companies.
You have a link to said controller?

I know there's the option of throwing a TH350 or Powerglide behind it, but it might be cool to have OD in a T-bucket roadster if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. This is going to be a major budget build. I'll probably have less than $6-7k in it by the time it's done, painted, and driving.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal- ... oCZuDw_wcB
No offense but you should learn how to use google if you plan on doing a low budget build.

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense but you should learn how to use google if you plan on doing a low budget build.[/quote]

None taken. Trust me, I can Google my a$$ off, but it's a little harder to do when you aren't sure what you're looking for, and the last time I checked, that's why forums like this exist, so people can get quick answers from like minded people who have done or have knowledge of the process.

That controller seems a little pricey for a "budget build". I think I'll look for a 700R4, 4L60, or TH350. Mechanical is cheaper.

· Registered
432 Posts
If you aren't putting down lots of power or planning on smoking tires off, a 200-R4 might work as well. It's a slightly weaker TH350 with overdrive. I think you'll be happier with the 4 gear transmissions (I will be putting a 200 or 700 under my Nova once it's painted and running good if I don't decide on a manual 5 or 6 gear trans).

· Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the LS 5.3 is 285hp stock, and I'll tune it up a bit with a cam to make it sound good, but I don't think I'll be doing anything that'll go over 400hp since this is a budged build and when it's done it's only going to weigh around 1500lbs (unless I can bastardize a roots blower onto it somehow, those just seem at home on a T-bucket). I think 350-400hp at 1500lbs. is plenty fast for a T-bucket.

I do agree though, I think it would be nice to have an OD gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.