Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first truck and today is the first day of us getting snow where I am from. I have a 2016 Silverado, should I be driving it in 4x4 H or 4x4 auto? The roads aren't that bad, a little slushy/slippery. Thanks for your help.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
dry roads, 2hi only. Varied roads, 4auto. Snow covered roads: 4hi.
Use 4auto when there are patches or widely varied road conditions.

If you do some searches on this forum, you will find dozens of thread and hundreds of posts dealing with this subject. Also, check out your owners manual. It does a good job of explaining the 4wd systems and when and when not to use them.

· Registered
196 Posts
esox07 said:
dry roads, 2hi only. Varied roads, 4auto. Snow covered roads: 4hi.
Use 4auto when there are patches or widely varied road conditions. /quote]

Well Said

If you get stuck Turn Off Traction Control to help get out ... for the most part never turn off Stabil-trak unless you want to drive sideways !

· Registered
70 Posts
Great question,

Learned something again... I thought and was told that Auto was perfect for all conditions as IF you get in a unexpected situation the truck will adapt. So I always used Auto... After seeing this post I an using it as I see suggested. But might I ask why? Does not Auto leave it in 2 wheel unless needed?

Thanks

DS

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Your auto transfer case has a clutch pack. Auto locks in your front diff and slightly engages the transfer case clutch. When the truck senses the rear tires slipping it fully engages the clutch sending more power to the front wheels. So it's not 100% 2wd when in auto and not slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
70 Posts
ferraiolo1 said:
Your auto transfer case has a clutch pack. Auto locks in your front diff and slightly engages the transfer case clutch. When the truck senses the rear tires slipping it fully engages the clutch sending more power to the front wheels. So it's not 100% 2wd when in auto and not slipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,

Makes sense... Learning is a great thing...

· Registered
430 Posts
I'm using 2 High constantly. If I get on the throttle to get with the flow of traffic, and the rear wheels spin a bit, I don't want the truck slamming into 4wd. Just my thoughts on the subject.

· Registered
559 Posts
Dodge Stomper said:
......thought and was told that Auto was perfect for all conditions as IF you get in a unexpected situation the truck will adapt. So I always used Auto... After seeing this post I an using it as I see suggested. But might I ask why? Does not Auto leave it in 2 wheel unless needed?....
Following the guidance in the OM is always the best advise.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
If you have to ask the question, you are likely unsure of how the truck will handle it. Best way to get understanding is to try it out yourself. If you are coming from an AWD car, use auto, if you're nervous in snow, use auto. Use auto for anything other than an unplowed street. 4hi if auto isn't enough. You may end up ignoring it in future, but even with lots of snow driving experience I used auto frequently, especially on highway.

THe auto system works great in these trucks and removes most guess work for most drivers.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
I use AUTO for more driving conditions. I only use 4-HI in extreme situations such as slippery hills or when pulling my utility trailer with a load in it on bad roads. I would never drive down the road over 40 mph in 4-HI because if you can go that fast, you don't need 4-HI.

Have owned 4wd vehicles for more than 30 yrs

· Registered
1,858 Posts
GR2017 said:
D***e Stomper said:
......thought and was told that Auto was perfect for all conditions as IF you get in a unexpected situation the truck will adapt. So I always used Auto... After seeing this post I an using it as I see suggested. But might I ask why? Does not Auto leave it in 2 wheel unless needed?....
Following the guidance in the OM is always the best advise.
Auto is fine for all-time use. However under heavy power the front end will engage, in doing so you are unnecessarily utilizing your 4wd which people sometimes like to avoid. I would only be out of 2wd personally if it was icy or actively snowing and I was driving at speed like on the highway. Under 50mph with at least 2/3 inches on the ground and i'd run 4hi, below that auto unless I had all the nanny stuff off and wanted to have fun.

Lots of people only engage 4wd when needed, rather than a maintenance engagement every week or so to keep things working well. For those that never do that, auto does it for you and could actually be argued to a be a drivetrain health benefit to the average joe.

End of the day, not rocket science. Try both, just don't forget your in 4hi when turning or if the snow ends

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,296 Posts
AUTOMATIC TRANSFER CASES
The last category is a combination of 4WD and On Demand AWD. These transfer cases have a 2HI, Auto-4WD, 4HI, 4LO and Neutral position and would fall in the general 4WD category. This transfer case has the operating characteristics of both an On Demand AWD and a Part-Time 4WD system depending on the mode selected. This transfer case uses a clutch pack to allow for a difference in speed between the front and rear axles in the Auto-4WD mode. In the 4HI or 4LO modes, there is no allowance for the difference in speed between the front and rear axles.

· Registered
1,858 Posts
the allowance in auto can mean better traction due to the bias of power being where it's needed. That;s why on the highway I used auto if it was snowing good. Real AWD like subaru or audi is the best on road higher speed traction system in cars. Auto 4wd in these trucks is a good combination of both systems in use, even if the design is still based on a traditional 2-speed case. I only used auto when travelling and not working the truck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.