Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
85k 2014 GMC Sierra

Wondering if anyone experimented with different weight oils, 0-20 always seemed a little thin to me, perhaps this is why the valvetrains let go, no protection.

I have 5-20 in it now, only owned it a month, barely drive it. 5 vs 0 is not a big difference, really wondering about the warm weight, going to 30w.

Also, anyone know what the new trucks run now, 2022/3?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
775 Posts
22 refreshed OM says:

Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade engine oil for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines.
Use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade engine oil for the 2.7L L4 engine.

Cold Temperature Operation:
In an area of extreme cold, where the temperature falls below −29 °C (−20 °F), an SAE 0W-30 oil may be used.
An oil of this viscosity grade will provide easiercold starting for the engine at extremely low temperatures.

· Registered
538 Posts
For the application you have sticking with OE is best and here is why.
The engine oil squirters are specifically calibrated for the weight the manufacture specifies. Will changing the oil weight actually do anything or increase life of the engine likely not as the engine is designed to run the lightweight oil. Also modern engines are built to a degree of precision that your older engines just were not so they can run these lightweight oils to increase fuel efficiency even if it is just a little bit. Side note about oil weights if you run anything other than what is specified for the truck and you have a failure that requires warranty GM can deny the warranty repair based off incorrect oil.
I would not worry about oil weight but worry about maintaining the oil levels in the truck. These engines do use oil burning it off as it vaporizes and gets sucked out the PCV system.

· Registered
08 Silverado
99 Posts
Who in their right mind would want a full size truck with a 4 banger???
That engine produces the same horsepower and more torque than the 5.3 in my 08. Not saying I'd get one because I'm still leery about reliability. Technology has come a long way and I don't think it's unrealistic anymore for a full size truck to have a 4 cyl engine that is properly boosted.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
08 Silverado
99 Posts
No argument on cubic inches, but we're never going to see a 454 in these trucks today either. Heck, the 5.3 is not what the 5.7 was, by cubic inch standards. Cubic inches will likely continue to decline, even in 8 cylinder engines. My point was/is if the 2.7 can do the job for the majority of truck owners and is reliable with better gas mileage, I don't understand why people are against them just because they only have 4 cylinders? Now, if you tow a skid steer every day, that's obviously a different story.

· Registered
352 Posts
The 6.2 is what the 454 used to be.... and it produces more power from the factory that 454s did back in the day from the factory.

Today's engines are far more powerful, efficient, dare I say more environmentally friendly... not that man is causing so called "climate change" which was going on back in history long before the industrial age ever got here.

· Registered
08 Silverado
99 Posts
The 6.2 is what the 454 used to be.... and it produces more power from the factory that 454s did back in the day from the factory.

Today's engines are far more powerful, efficient, dare I say more environmentally friendly... not that man is causing so called "climate change" which was going on back in history long before the industrial age ever got here.
Yes, that's exactly the point I made when I first replied to this thread... the 6.2 is less cubic inches than the 454, but produces more power out of the factory today-- just like the 2.7 produces as much/more than the 5.3 from 15 years ago (with roughly half the cubic inches and half the cylinders). Technology has allowed today's engines to produce similar and/or larger outputs with less cubic inches/cylinders.

· Registered
352 Posts
The 5.3L is basically a 327 and it can easily be tweaked to blow away the 4 banger.

If there wass a contest to tweak a 5.3L and the 4 banger to get max power... the 5.3L would win cause in the end, it has more cubic inches...

Of course they use the metric system rather than cubic inches but whatever.

I don't use no stinkin metric system because I'm happy with the english system

When people tell me they traveled however many kilometers on vacation, I typically say "Yo Momma said what now???" and then fart really loud!
Automotive lighting Gas Font Event Automotive exterior

1 - 16 of 16 Posts