Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, firstly, where's the forum for 5.7l Vortecs? Am I missing something? Anyway, We have a 1998 5.7 with about 170K on it that has been well taken care of, especially frequent oil changes. Still, when I start it cold, it ticks for about the first 30 seconds or so, worse when it's cold. If I take off before it's warmed up it really ticks loudly but if I let it run for a full minute, it always goes away. I'm using the specified oil so I was wondering if anything needs attention or flushing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK, firstly, where's the forum for 5.7l Vortecs? Am I missing something? Anyway, We have a 1998 5.7 with about 170K on it that has been well taken care of, especially frequent oil changes. Still, when I start it cold, it ticks for about the first 30 seconds or so, worse when it's cold. If I take off before it's warmed up it really ticks loudly but if I let it run for a full minute, it always goes away. I'm using the specified oil so I was wondering if anything needs attention or flushing?

Thanks.
Piston Slap was pretty common in that era engine. Mine did it until the entire time I owned it, about 300K Miles.
Never caused a problem with towing or normal/abusive driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, never heard of that. Is there any way to prove that's what it is?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts