Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of upgrading to a big-boy rig next year and moving up to a 2500HD.
It will be a combination tow vehicle and daily driver. I'm looking at trucks built between 2007 and 2011 - they seem to be within the range I'm willing to spend. I like the option to have the crew cab with a 6'6 bed. Perfect size!

What are the pros and cons of the 2 engine options? I have been a gas engine guy and the 6.0L gas engine is familiar territory after years with the 4.8/5.3 engines. I do not know anything about diesel maintenance or the "exhaust fluid" I skimmed over in a thread ages ago.

I have no doubt that either engine option will haul what I want with ease..both would be good options. To be honest, the diesel option is unfamiliar but I know there are pros and cons to each. I live in a climate that gets rather cold for what seems like half the year.

My only real experience with the 6.0L gasser was an early 2000's 2500. It was a total gas hog, but I imagine they have gotten better since then. I can't see the mileage being THAT different from my 1500. I've driven a few Duramaxes, but not a lot of time behind the wheel.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Not sure you'll get unbiased opinions ;-) I have an '11 6.0 gasser and love it. It's a ext cab long bed, WT. I've never driven a diesel to give negatives would be unfair. But I do know diesel maintenance is more expensive, oil changes for one. Injector pumps cost an arm and a leg I've heard. I just had headers installed and a dyno tune and it really woke it up.
Honestly I've never checked gas mileage, it's a truck, it gets what it gets. IMO it's like buying a Vette and being concerned about gas mileage. I know, weird analogy but that's how I see it.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The huge difference seems to be the extra 7-10 grand they want for a Dmax/Allison

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Unless the Diesel Particulate Filter has been deleted out of the ECM and the pipeline, you will have that to deal with on a Duramax for the years you are looking at. Above 2010, and add Selective Catalytic Reduction (the need for DEF fluid) to the mix. Both are real maintenance headaches and big bucks when they go south. With the emissions stuff that has come about since '07, unless you have a very serious need for a diesel, I would take a serious look at staying with gas. Diesel is hardly a novelty for everyone to boost their ego unless they really like spending money. If one is doing serious hauling and towing on a regular basis, then diesel is the best way to go. It all comes down to doing enough with the vehicle as far as work goes, to justify diesel and the added hassles.

I own and play with diesels to the tune of over 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year. I know them. I like them for the tasks I have to put them to work doing. But you have got to be able to really justify it, or you are just tossing money around. Sit down and run the numbers. If you are going to be doing a LOT of towing and work, get the Duramax. If you are just an occasional hauler, the gas version would be more cost effective. Sure the mpg will be less, but the overall cost may be less as well.

Tough call for you. Don't rush into the choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I found my 2011 gasser at a price I was able to pay. Diesels were out of my price range. I also figured that it would take so long to reap the fuel milage savings with the duramax that the front side costs would not be justifiable. I dig my 6.0 anyway!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just came from a 2006 Duramax Crew cab 6" lift with 35" tires and I was getting around 15 MPG around town and 19 MPG on freeway. Just purchased a 2009 5.3L Crew cab LTZ 3.42 and I get a little better mileage out of my stock gas truck. As far as maintanence unless you have bad luck the cost to maintain is exactly the same. I love the ride and how comfortable my 5.3L truck is but really miss the roar and torque of my Duramax. I didnt really have the need for a diesel. I have no doubt that I will own a Diesel again but most likely when I have more time on my hands (retired) and have a travel trailer etc.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Yep, they have their place. If one is pulling a TT around a heck of a lot, like in retirement, then it really makes sense. Or doing the horse trailer thing every week or even a goose neck. They really are overkill and nothing but bragging rights if one is only pulling something infrequently and using it primarily as a commuter ride. What one chooses, just do so using the head between your ears and not the one between.....

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Copperhead said:
Unless the Diesel Particulate Filter has been deleted out of the ECM and the pipeline, you will have that to deal with on a Duramax for the years you are looking at. Above 2010, and add Selective Catalytic Reduction (the need for DEF fluid) to the mix. Both are real maintenance headaches and big bucks when they go south. With the emissions stuff that has come about since '07, unless you have a very serious need for a diesel, I would take a serious look at staying with gas. Diesel is hardly a novelty for everyone to boost their ego unless they really like spending money. If one is doing serious hauling and towing on a regular basis, then diesel is the best way to go. It all comes down to doing enough with the vehicle as far as work goes, to justify diesel and the added hassles.

I own and play with diesels to the tune of over 21,000 gallons of diesel fuel a year. I know them. I like them for the tasks I have to put them to work doing. But you have got to be able to really justify it, or you are just tossing money around. Sit down and run the numbers. If you are going to be doing a LOT of towing and work, get the Duramax. If you are just an occasional hauler, the gas version would be more cost effective. Sure the mpg will be less, but the overall cost may be less as well.

Tough call for you. Don't rush into the choice.
Thanks so much - that's the kind of diesel insight I was looking for. People always say that the maintenance costs are higher for a diesel, but never explain the reasons why. I learned a bit more though.

The upfront cost would not be much different in the range that I am looking at, but the cost for repair in the event of serious maintenance/catastrophic failure would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm going to do a bit more digging, but I think the 6.0L gasser will be the way to go. Just seems to make more sense, not to mention staying in familiar territory. Like I kinda mentioned before, the 2500 will pull all of the same stuff I tow with my 1500, just with more passing power and uphill torque. The hard part now will be finding the right 2500HD gas truck (with so many diesels out there!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you get an 06-07 LBZ engine Duramax they don't have any emissions BS. Honestly if you have the extra money I honestly believe the diesel is the way to go. I owned my last diesel for 5 years and besides normal oil changes I had to replace a transmission line ($50). They are very reliable and if I hauled a trailer more than 3 times a year I would still own a diesel. Maybe I have an ego problem. I just wouldn't count it out because of reliability in my opinion.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The LBZ is a great engine. If you do change your mind stay away from the LB7 01-03.5 I believe. They go through injectors like crazy. Yes they can be fixed to the tune of $1500. I got a buddy dealing with that right now. Good luck in finding the right vehicle.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I would agree, that if one can get ahold of a diesel without all the emissions stuff (EGR came about also in '03 so that doesn't help) then it is a worth getting a diesel. The EGR thing is about the easiest thing to circumvent in all the EPA stuff. That is where I got fortunate regarding the regulations and even the IRS code.... I got a new 2013 Freightliner chassis without an engine, and dropped in a factory rebuilt 2000 engine without all the emissions stuff in it. One of those nice loopholes in the regulations as far as heavy diesels go. And I got to avoid all the federal excise tax on new equipment by using a rebuilt engine and transmission. What normally would have been a purchase with FET of around $150,000 turned out to be $112,000 driving off the lot. What a country! The emission stuff is the biggest mess up to come down the pike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ya in my Duramax I had my EGR blocked. Cost about $10 for the blocker plate.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It really comes down to one thing,what you are towing and how often you will tow it.i just got rid of my LMM drove it five years wow what a great truck I miss my diesel.but I don't miss that hard ride not so go handling.the 2500 are like driving a big tank,unstoppable will pull anything you hook up to them and do it very well up any mountain you like.i would say if you are towing over 8 thousand pounds often I would look at a diesel,if it's just a weekend thing look at the gas.i been on both sides I really like my new truck as a DD.the best setup is to have two truck a 1500 for DD and a 2500 HD diesel for towing ,and I believe that's the route I'll take,I towed my first 10 thousand pounds with this 6.2 and I just laughed what a joke,ya it did it but not for me.good luck with your new truck and happy towing

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.