Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here lots of info and knowledge combined as I've read lurking around in this forum.
Planing to pull the trigger on a 10k lbs (loaded) fifth wheel, wanted to know if anyone has any issues with the 6.6 gas engine, I know they don't come with the 10 speed Allison transmission, the gas engine configuration comes with a 6 speed, It's also going to be a daily driver, (not far to work and back about 7 miles a day)
The thing is that with the price of diesel (at least here in florida) and the huge mark up with the Duramax-Allison combo, I just don't see it.
I know that you can go further with a gallon of diesel than with a gallon of gas, but if you pay more for diesel, what's the benefit?
Please take into consideration that I'm only pulling a 32 feet fifth wheel that weights 8900 lbs empty. That's about half the towing capacity (I think), not planing to upgrade to something bigger later on, I've been through that experience already, all the way up to a diesel pusher and the truth is I want to keep it simple this time.
Anyways, just wanted to get some input, pardon the whole story, but I thought posting some of the details would help on coming up with an explanation.
Thanks in advance for the replies.
Ricky.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,610 Posts
No need for a diesel with that setup unless you wanted one. Diesel will do everything better, but being in Florida, it's not like you have mountains to climb, so the gas job should do just fine, especially given the weight of your setup.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
You should be fine w/ the 6.6. I Pulled a 12K 5er w/ a 6.0 gas dually and it did the job very well. It did strain a little on some of the mountains in western VA and in PA. But the 6.6 should work well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after driving looking for one and as far as a dealer over 100 Miles away, I could not find one to save my life, all dealerships say they don't know when they are getting them, all said to place an order and I'll be put on a wait list, what the hell?
So I pulled the trigger on a Diesel one, only 15 miles away from home, they had ordered for a guy and when he got there he didn't like the financing rate he got offered. (That's what I was told anyways).
I'm surprised they had that one on the lot.
Thanks for the replies. So far I love it.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,610 Posts
Well you definitely will never be lacking power pulling your trailer now haha.

And yeah my local dealer hasn't had a single truck on their lot in a couple months now. They are a smaller dealer, but sell quite a bit of trucks normally. Now they only have a couple of the new blazers, and some cars, but still only maybe 10 vehicles at the most on their lot.

Seems a lot of dealers are in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's crazy out there, there is a LTZ diesel in stock at a dealer a few miles from home and they are asking $97,294.00 with a $ 20,735.00 "fair market value adjustment" amount added to it. I'm so glad I found mine right on time before this craziness started, now most dealer websites state, "call for price"

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would stay away from that dealership from here on out, that's crazy.

I know I go to one of the biggest truck dealers in the Philly Metro area and they haven't been able to keep anything on their lot. Before it is even on the lot it's usually sold. But I can say my dealer isn't upcharging like other dealers are doing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
GreasyRick said:
Well, after driving looking for one and as far as a dealer over 100 Miles away, I could not find one to save my life, all dealerships say they don't know when they are getting them, all said to place an order and I'll be put on a wait list, what the hell?
So I pulled the trigger on a Diesel one, only 15 miles away from home, they had ordered for a guy and when he got there he didn't like the financing rate he got offered. (That's what I was told anyways).
I'm surprised they had that one on the lot.
Thanks for the replies. So far I love it.
Now you can buy a bigger trailer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm so happy you made the decision to go diesel. You will not be disappointed in the end. Go to any campground and count the number of diesel trucks and gas. I guarantee they will be 10-1 in favor of diesel. I have a diesel as home and drive a gas at work. Pull big trailers with both, and the difference is night and day. I use so much more gasoline than diesel and the difference in power for passing and get up and go is unbelievable. Good luck with your truck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot, I love it, not even 200 miles old and was pulling the fifth wheel with it, so much power, unbelievable, no stress for sure if we decide to get a bigger fifth wheel, we also installed a 20K B&W Slider hitch, into the factory puck setup, which by the way, I don't think I'll ever use, since the standard bed for this year is a bit longer and was able to achieve pretty decent turn angles with it. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts