Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2020 silverado 3500 owner. Brand new diesel engine owner. I am wondering how important the break in period is for these engines. Namely, no driving over 55 mph for the first 500 miles.
Also, are there any diesel fuel brands to avoid?

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I had my Duramax, already broke in, bought used with 30k miles on her. I've always varied my speeds on new engines, tried to keep it under 65 mph or so. I'm sure there are lots of others with their methods. Fuel, always used a top tier brand and tried to fuel up at stations that had a high traffic of vehicles filling up. This was told to me mainly that the fuel should be fairly fresh, lack of moisture; moisture in fuel not good.
I wouldn't "baby it" so much, but not "shower down" on it either for about 1k miles. IMO

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,568 Posts
Do not break in a diesel engine like a gas engine.

You need to work them. Don't be shy about loading it down and working it in. That's what they are made for.

Break in on new and rebuilt diesel engines i work on (heavy duty) consist of a few minutes of idle to make sure there is no leaks and to get it warmed up. Then hook up a loaded trailer and pull the hill on the highway.

As far as fuel, stick with high volume, name brand stations and you'll be good. A good additive never hurts either. Optilube xpd would be my recommendation, but there are many good ones out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Variation is the key.
Very the speeds and vary the loads.

It's not just the engine that is getting broken in.
Don't baby it and don't leave it idling and don't overload it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
and pictures are a must!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts