Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a 7" rough country bracket lift installed with the newer preloaded front struts. I had the knuckle lift before but had to switch it so i didnt have to run wheel spacers and it's soo much better.

Anyway, I currently have the 275/70/18 goodyear kevlar almost the street tread tire on. They are way too small for the size lift I have.

If I go with the Duratrac 285/75/18 will that be bigger and fit the truck better?? I do drive alot with the truck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I recently had a 7" rough country bracket lift installed with the newer preloaded front struts. I had the knuckle lift before but had to switch it so i didnt have to run wheel spacers and it's soo much better.

Anyway, I currently have the 275/70/18 goodyear kevlar almost the street tread tire on. They are way too small for the size lift I have.

If I go with the Duratrac 285/75/18 will that be bigger and fit the truck better?? I do drive alot with the truck.
Well, that's basically a 34" tire, 33-3/4" on the ground aired up or so. My daughter runs Nitto 35s (about 3/4" larger OD than yours on the ground) with a 6.5" lift and it looks perfect to me. No fun for this old man to climb in and out of but looks good!

Sky Tire Wheel Cloud Land vehicle

Reactions: Smitty27

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those tires are a good size for a 6.5" lift.

So with my 285/75/18s

two questions:

Will I need to regear so i dont destroy my transmission and will the sidewalls rub the Upper control arm or steering rack since everything has been dropped down. Their duratrac tires

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Well, that's basically a 34" tire, 33-3/4" on the ground aired up or so. My daughter runs Nitto 35s (about 3/4" larger OD than yours on the ground) with a 6.5" lift and it looks perfect to me. No fun for this old man to climb in and out of but looks good!
Did she need to trim to avoid inner front wheel well rub with those 35's or did the lift clear everything?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did she need to trim to avoid inner front wheel well rub with those 35's or did the lift clear everything?
Trimming done up front both in front and behind a little, rubs at full turn.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,227 Posts
Those tires are a good size for a 6.5" lift.

So with my 285/75/18s

two questions:

Will I need to regear so i dont destroy my transmission and will the sidewalls rub the Upper control arm or steering rack since everything has been dropped down. Their duratrac tires

You dont have to regear but a regear would help with less strain on the transmission over time.

Do the current 275/70r18s rub? if they don't and they aren't super close to rubbing now then the new ones shouldn't either. Are you running the stock wheels? Larger lifts with stock wheels is usually the combo that caused UCA rubbing.

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I now have the bracket kit with the stock spindles so its not the lift kit style knuckle. it shouldnt rub, i mean they had to drop down the UCA and LCA with the bracket kit. i hope it doesnt get in the way

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for some reason the 7" lift doesnt look that big on the truck. Any idea on what they could of missed or can I make a adjustment to lift it up more

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
18,922 Posts
The RC 7" is already stretched beyond what it should be. All it is, is their 5" kit with taller strut spacers/struts.

So definitely do not try and gain any more height out of it.

If you want more height, step up to a better/bigger lift. Cognito and McGaughys make nice kits for these trucks in that 6+ inch height range

·
Super Moderator
18,922 Posts
Yes, that doesn't change the geometry of the kit though. A taller strut and a spacer both perform the same function.

The basic premise if the 7" rc kit is their 5" lift, with a leveling kit stacked on top of it. That's essentially all it is. The diff drop and crossmembers are only 5". A true 7" lift kit will drop everything down the full 7".

So while you may get 7" of front lift with this kit, it does that by essentially stacking a leveling kit on top of a smaller lift kit.

For example the McGaughys 7-9" kit is a true 7" kit when set at 7". All your angles will be flat and good. You can set them up for 9", which is then just using either longer struts, spacers, or adjusting coilovers to raise it up past where it normally would/should be.

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for replying i appreciate it. So my 7" preloaded longer strut lift is messing my angles up? Upper and lower control arm dropped down , steering rack, the new cross members actually had longer arms vs my 5" knuckle kit i had installed. literally everything was different on this 7" kit.

all the angles look flat and good on it. any additional perspective?

·
Super Moderator
18,922 Posts
If your angles are all nice and flat, then RC must have finally changed their kit.

All the RC 7" kits I've dealt with have been the over stretched 5" kit. Would be nice if they did finally make a real lift. Their 5" bracket kit is the only one that's decent out of the bunch. So if they made their 7" kit a true 7" lift, then they got something going for them.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,227 Posts
I think something did change on the 7" kit for the 2014+ trucks to make it better actually. Your thinking of the 7.5" kit for the gmt900s that is garbage

·
Super Moderator
18,922 Posts
My buddy had a 7" kit on his 2015 and it was still the atrocious design. But his was also the knuckle style lift, not bracket lift. So maybe that's the difference?

He had a heck of a time keeping front end parts on that truck lol.

Well it's good to know they actually made a change for the better an make a true 7" lift now. Definitely a step in the right direction for sure. That's my main issue with RC (and it's not only them, so I'm not really just bashing them, BDS did/does it too), is that they offer say a 6 or 7 inch lift, but it doesn't drop evething down the full amount so you can get nice angles.

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so the 7" lift is installed. Here is the left and right photos of the angles. what do you guys think? the left looks flat but right one a small cv angle. any thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 silverado 1500
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This was before we got the 285/75/18 duratracs on today. Wow those tires are so nice. thick sidewall. Will this actually help my angles at all? The tires in above photo are really small

1 - 20 of 25 Posts