Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83 Chevy Silverado on 44s what can i do to make it faster with out putting smaller tires and how do i recalibrate the speedo on a truck like this it has a 350 v8 with true dual straight pipes with out cats but still has 2 mufflers?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Pull some one tons from a CUCV, That will upgrade you to a dana 60 front (with Detroit) geared 4:56, and the rear will be a GM Corporate 14 bolt full floating axle (geared 4:56) also 8 lug x 6.5 bolt pattern. I would go to randy's ring and pinion and use their calculators. http://www.ringpinion.com/Calculators/, I believe you can go up to 4:88 in the Detroit carriers.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Honestly, axles with 4.56-4.88 gears would be a better choice. The half-ton axles won't last long with tires that big and more power. Start with axles, CUCV's, like ja63197 said, if you can find some. The 4.56 should help you a bit, then if you still want more up grade to 4.88 or even 5.13's if needed.

Is the truck 4x4 or full time 4wd? and what trans does it have? A th350 can be easily swapped with a 700r4, and if it's a np203 (full-time transfer case) I'd swap for a np205 (best factory transfer case) or np208 (next best, but lighter case). Or go for broke and build a doubler of of the 203 and 205...

As for the speedo, wait until you've got the truck done, then take you info to summit racing and you can order a new speedo dial or cable. But, don't do it unless you know you're done with the drive train and gearing, or you'll have to do it again...

Is the motor stock? If so it may need some refreshing...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the motor is still stock and the odometer is showing 85k and as for transmission im not sure but i know it has overdrive and its 4x4 and will those axles bolt right up?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well if you convert to diesel you will go over 7000. I have an 88 K1500 with 700 R4, geared 4:56 with a solid axle (Coil) conversion. Almost all of the pre-independent suspension guys like yourself run the CUCV axles (they are a direct swap for the most part. They come with pricey detroit lockers. You can find them fairly easy, and they will handle the 44's with a decent amount of power and torque added. you can pick up a nice rear for 450 bucks or less, then a front will be around 800-1200 bucks. you can buy a donor (has to be 1 ton truck, not 1 ton blazer) for a reasonable price as well. So all in all you will have (high end), about 1650 bucks. Then add in some wheels (400- whatever you want to spend) for some decent 8 lugs ( I prefer 17" due to tire options and the ability to run them with lower air) there is a debate about 17 or 15 inch wheels, go with your preference. If you stay flat land and dont wheel and don't get into different attitudes then stay with a carb on the motor. If you wheel a lot and get into hills and unusual attitudes its best to go TBI. You could rebuild your motor and stroke it (383) go TBI, and have more than enough power for under say 3000. Now you are at 4650. If you are around hickory, NC there is a guy that does fantastic 700R4 work, get a donor, and give him 800 bucks and you will have kevlar bands, aluminum valve body, corvette servo, numerous other goodies. Cause your trans will not like the torque of the stroker.

Recap:
Get the CUCV axles: 1650, they will be geared 4:56 and have Detroit locker front and rear
(with this set up you will have a lot of get up and go compared to your most likely 3.73 geared stockers, plus a LOT stronger and they are pretty much bolt in)

When you get bored (pun intended):
383 stroker kit and TBI or Carb (TBI better for unusual attitudes) can get a donor from early TBI model trucks (TBIChips.com can help you)

When the 383 blows the tranny:
Get a 700R4 donor (earlier model the better due to computer controlled issues, dont quote me on that one)
Get someone reputable (no aamco, or anyone else) you can pm for the guy in Hickory because if you build a 700R4 properly it will be great, if not it will fail soon.
So say 300 for donor trans, 800 for (numerous upgrades) and add a trans temp gauge(best deal one is from auto zone (plugs right in pretty accurate and cheap) the 700 hates being hot, as most trans do.

Total: 5750
not counting fluid, and some other odds and ends. you will be below 7000.

Daly is right on trans case, but i would not worry about it until you see exactly what trans case you have and whether you will be mall crawling or wheeling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok think ill keep 350 then might stroke it and get some one ton rear and front ends from pick n pull and ill see about the transmission too. But should i get millitary tires sence they are cheeper and im only gonna be using the truck to go hunting and in the greenswamp?

·
Registered
144 Posts
be careful with the pick and pull, there is a non full floating 14 bolt that the vans, and 3/4 ton blazers have. Also, where are you located, i would search local 4x4 forums for CUCV axles, the reason is they come with Detroit lockers, also they will be geared 4.56 front and rear. Needs to be out of the m1008 truck, the other trucks came with gov locks(not great). http://www.govliquidation.com has some good deals, but you have to go pick them up and deal with government paperwork. I have heard good and bad reviews. I had a decent experience. But i was stationed at the base of pickup. if your 44's are good, then just get some new wheels for the 8 lugs.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Get rid of that 305. I don't know that there's much you can do for it. Time for a badass small block build up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.