Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a 93 1500 Silverado 4x4 and as I was driving it home a whine started to occur. It got louder as I drove on. I thought it was the power steering so I re routed the belt so it wouldn't run the pump and it still made it. Here is the list

1. It does it in drive or reverse in any gear
2. It does it a first start up but goes away until I put it in gear.
3. It stops when the torque converter locks to switch to a different gear then continues in that gear.
4. I changed the fluid and it smelled like a dead skunk, and lots of very fine metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan. The fluid wasn't dark though.
5. The transmission otherwise does not slip or shift hard.

I took it to a transmission shop and they said my trans is burnt and it needs a rebuild which would cost upwards of $3500. Also I already looked at the guide for the 4l60e and did not find this. Please help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Take it to another shop for a second opinion. Or would you rather waste time with random answers from the internet from people that may or may not know what the problem is?

Leave the belt off completely for a short while to make sure it isn't the alternator or idler pulley.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if I clarified but it only does it in gear. Not in neutral or park. And it is definitely coming from the trans because I have been under the truck when in gear and it is very loud at the transmission. Not from the engine.

· Registered
873 Posts
I would call all the shops in the area and see what each one is charging. But $3500 I can buy a new Allison for that much. And that's what im looking at paying to have it fully built for 750 HP and 1200ftlbs of trq. If anything you can pull one from a yard for way way cheaper. Metal shavings would be a good clue that the trans in on the outs.

· Registered
382 Posts
I had the same problem in an older truck I had...everyone told me it was a pump, but typically you hear it to some degree while it's not in gear if it's a pump. It ended up being the transmission bearings. They had to completely dissemble it to get to them all, so I paid for a complete overhaul. I only paid $1500 for a rebuild at a certified shop tho. That price is way too high.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took it to 3 other different shops. They all said it would have to be rebuilt and it is the trans pump. Cheapest price was $1500 but I think I'll just buy one online. They have some rebuilt around $500 - $1200

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I agree, the transmission is shot at this point. Good luck and let us know what you come up with and how it works out for you.

· Registered
149 Posts
I was quoted $1400 from a respectable trans shop near me for a 4L60e on my '99. That was pull it out, rebuild, put back in. Included pulling the transfer case apart. Turned out it wasn't the trans, but he was honest with me and after he drove it called me and said the transmission was fine. A shop like that, I'll do business with forever and recommend to anyone. However, that depends where you're from? In the end, $3500 is way too much. $1500 isn't bad if that includes the removal/installation

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I think I might just swap in a nv4500. I'd like to know what trucks I can find them in and how to tell them apart from a nv3500. I also need to know if I can reuse the existing drive shafts and if the transfer case has a VSS and if I can run a VSS with out a computer as I am going to be putting in a carbed 350.

· Registered
149 Posts
There'll be a tag on the side of the case with the type of trans it is. As far as fitment, driveshafts, I'm not sure. I'd try to find one out of a donor truck with the same engine so you can use the ECM for the manual trans (unless there's a way to modify those older ECMs), but with the donor truck you will have the pedal assy, driveshafts if it's the same body style. Did all the stock cranks on those older engines have a hole in them for a pilot bushing? May be more work than it's worth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.