Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 1996 GMC K1500 extd. cab, 4WD a few weeks ago. 280K on clock, but runs good; straight; decent paint. Pretty happy for $1,700. It has what I guess to be the upper end factory AM/FM, + cassette + CD radio system. All works except CD, which I will pull and try the alcohol cleaning method to see if it will revive. I'd like to try to keep the factory set up. My ears aren't that good since I've gotten older, so I'm not critical like I used to be. However, the speakers in my truck sound like they are tired.....dry, cracked cones, who knows. I see from specs. that the lower door speakers are 6 1/2" Looks to have tweeters in the door near where wing windows used to be in vehicles. I need to replace the inside door handle very soon, so it's a good time to replace speakers. So I need tips for extending the life of this old system. I have looked at Crutchfield, who I've used before and found them to be very helpful. Their, "woofers," start at around $55 and go up. I don't know what impedance to get or max. wattage. And I don't want to make the mistake of buying some that are too, "deep," for the door location. I've not even looked yet at whether there are more than these 4 speakers in the cab. I know this post is not exactly, "Silverado," but perhaps some of you could offer tips comments about a practical plan to get this old system back in shape. Thanks, Dennis in E WA state

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
422 Posts
I would contact crutchfield and see what they say for speakers for your specific truck, and/or take off the door panels and measure the speakers/clearance yourself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts