Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
99 Silverado 2500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I haven’t had any serious issues with my truck. It’s a “new body style” 99 Silverado 2500 with the 6.0, it has 123k 2wd, i went to start the truck today and when I opened the door I noticed nothing was on, checked voltage on my battery and got zip (battery was dated at 2016) , got a new battery put it in and mind you the truck was fine last week when I last drove it. Start the truck up I always pull my emergency brake before I put the truck into gear and have my foot on brake as well. Truck is stuck in park ( won’t allow me to go into any gear) , so I shut the truck down, put the parking brake back on, open the door and notice that all my lights stayed one. Headlights, dash lights, radio, brake lights dome light even when I closed the door I waited for the timer on the dome light and everything stayed on for a couple of minutes so I disconnected the battery. Reconnected the battery about 5 minutes later and this time fired the truck up and left the parking brake on and tried to take the truck out of gear and it worked, the shifter wasn’t hard to put into gear and it never has been. So I put the shifter back in park unrealease the parking brake all the lights come on as usual, tried to put the truck in gear again and what do you know, it won’t go into gear. So I about had it at this point because I love driving my truck so I engage the parking brake, shut the truck down, and again. All the lights stayed on. So I went to disconnect the battery and I can hear a very quiet buzzing sound( kind of like current running through the system) , didn’t notice before but I started listening and found the sound coming from alternator, I unplug the pigtail and it goes away, plug the pigtail back in and it comes back. I’m just curious as if the alternator has something to do with it. Like I said this truck has 123k miles on it and is in good condition. I’m not very electrically inclined when it comes to cars and trucks but I know a lot about fixing mechanical issues when they arise and am willing to learn electrical when issues arise, I just never had electrical issues arise as of yet. If someone can give me some input that would be awesome. I’m not sure if this is an electrical issue or not but any info would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts