Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Silverado Crew Cab 6.5 box
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of writing this amazon warehouse has 2 of these in stock for $70.

But other options here (sorted by price low to high):

I installed one today on my 2015 Silverado 6.5' bed and it fits perfectly, the tailgate shuts properly. I have NO idea why they list it for only the NBS, but it fits the older ones just fine.

It's not fancy, but it is nice and does the job.

Pics were taken at night, best I could scrounge up.

Automotive tail & brake light Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tent
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Automotive lighting Countertop Cloud Automotive tire Table
Netbook Automotive lighting Rectangle Wood Table
Wood Automotive lighting Rectangle Cloud Flooring
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hello Danno,

Your post is very timely because I need a tonneau cover. Driving in Denver on vacation last month on the same afternoon as the Boulder, Colorado wind-driven fires, the cover on my 2017 Silverado got ripped to shreds. I had to carve it away with a razor knife and throw it in a dumpster just to be able to continue driving. The winds that day were crazy!!

Can you post a few pictures of the mounting rails along the sides of the truck, please? And does this cover roll up using straps with hooks?

Many, many thanks!!

Rick

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Danno,

Your post is very timely because I need a tonneau cover. Driving in Denver on vacation last month on the same afternoon as the Boulder, Colorado wind-driven fires, the cover on my 2017 Silverado got ripped to shreds. I had to carve it away with a razor knife and throw it in a dumpster just to be able to continue driving. The winds that day were crazy!!

Can you post a few pictures of the mounting rails along the sides of the truck, please? And does this cover roll up using straps with hooks?

Many, many thanks!!

Rick
You're welcome, glad I could help someone out.

If you follow the first link I posted you will see the mounting rails in the 5th pic down, also the video shows them as well. The one I bought (in the first link) does indeed roll up and there are straps to hold it in place once rolled up, you can see the loops in my 4th pic.

It only took about 15 minutes to install.

If you need more let me know.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,155 Posts
Velcro :sick:

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I have a Tyger T1 on my 2006, fit perfectly and works great. Same soft roll up, same velcro, which is pretty much how any roll up fastens to the bed sides...lol I paid $130 I think two years ago. It was the only one that had a low enough profile so I didn't have to remove my bed rail bars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Tyger T1 on my 2006, fit perfectly and works great. Same soft roll up, same velcro, which is pretty much how any roll up fastens to the bed sides...lol I paid $130 I think two years ago. It was the only one that had a low enough profile so I didn't have to remove my bed rail bars.
NIce!

Well if I get 2 years out of it I'll be happy. I've seen where the stitching comes loose on some of the velcro systems, I figure I can take it to an upholstery shop if that ever happens.

Thank you for chiming in!!

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I have no issues at all on mine. I would like the pull handle to open to be a little tighter, but it hasn't failed me. I find it easier to sort of lean on the top as I pull the handle down to make it easier to pop, but it's not a big deal. Rarely, the tailgate rubber flap will want to curl in and then get stuck inside the tailgate, but I just slide a finger in on one end and run it down the seam and it pops out and lays flat as it should. Never had any leaks either..

Reactions: Bradley21sanders

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Just FYI, unless they ran out of new ones (highly doubt), the $70 cover being sold is used.

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Number

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,227 Posts
Yeah, they should be around $230 I was looking at them a while back on a different site.

I wonder if they are open box returns that are still in great shape so they are selling as used.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I wonder if they are open box returns that are still in great shape so they are selling as used.
Could be... 🤷‍♂️

I don't think $70 is not a bad price for used one. I paid $50 for my truXedo 18 months ago and that came off a new truck trade, so I'd say it was at least two years old at the time. Still works and looks great. Yes, even the velcros, for those who seem to be concerned. ;)

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,155 Posts
Had a couple velcro tonneaus in the past and would never go back to one. I am sure they got better since then but still, no thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have no issues at all on mine. I would like the pull handle to open to be a little tighter, but it hasn't failed me. I find it easier to sort of lean on the top as I pull the handle down to make it easier to pop, but it's not a big deal. Rarely, the tailgate rubber flap will want to curl in and then get stuck inside the tailgate, but I just slide a finger in on one end and run it down the seam and it pops out and lays flat as it should. Never had any leaks either..
Thanks for that tip, I would say that mine has that same MO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just FYI, unless they ran out of new ones (highly doubt), the $70 cover being sold is used.

View attachment 944340
They are listed as used, but only because the box is damaged. You can view the details when you click "details". Mine was new, the box had a ton of "amazon prime" tape all over it, all of the parts bags were still in there original unsealed bags.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had a couple velcro tonneaus in the past and would never go back to one. I am sure they got better since then but still, no thanks.
I doubt there have been any advances in velcro tech, but damn if I am going to spend what they want for a hard tonneau cover. Just not that import of a function to me. I agree, not the best option, but for the price, if I get a few good years of service, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,155 Posts
I wouldn't get a hard tonneau either, almost all of them look like dog shit.
I have an Extang Trifecta Signature Series soft tri fold and yea it was kind of expensive at $412 new but then I wanted something to last and function great and Extang has a great warranty and support. If you like what you got then that's great.

Funny thing is I actually got 2 of them for that $412. I complained to Trifecta that their new signature series canvas tri fold wasn't stretched as tight as their old one I had on my 02 Sierra. They said this was normal but they would send me a new one and I could keep the one I just bought as well. I ended up selling one of them to the guy at work for $100 or $150 I forget. He has a 2014 Silverado and he loves the tonneau. So it actually ended up costing about $312 or $262.
Extang rocks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't get a hard tonneau either, almost all of them look like dog shit.
I have an Extang Trifecta Signature Series soft tri fold and yea it was kind of expensive at $412 new but then I wanted something to last and function great and Extang has a great warranty and support. If you like what you got then that's great.

Funny thing is I actually got 2 of them for that $412. I complained to Trifecta that their new signature series canvas tri fold wasn't stretched as tight as their old one I had on my 02 Sierra. They said this was normal but they would send me a new one and I could keep the one I just bought as well. I ended up selling one of them to the guy at work for $100 or $150 I forget. He has a 2014 Silverado and he loves the tonneau. So it actually ended up costing about $312 or $262.
Extang rocks
I wanted the tri fold, but for the money (even used) I couldn't justify it. Typically I get a camper shell (used) for whatever truck I have, but I so far I haven't had much luck to find the right color since only a few years fit properly. I only cover the bed in the winter months for my commute from va to pa.

Agree the hard covers are crappy looking, but looks are matter of opinion as people with them will point out.

Love your avatar btw

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
744 Posts
I had an Access roll up on my 02 Silverado for the 5 years I had it and my 09 Silverado for the 4 years I had it without issues. I had the same brand on my 13 Silverado for 8 years without issues. Velcro held up well on both. I now have an Access one on my 13 Sierra. They last for me but I can see Velcro wearing out if unrolled / rolled up on a frequent basis.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had an Access roll up on my 02 Silverado for the 5 years I had it and my 09 Silverado for the 4 years I had it without issues. I had the same brand on my 13 Silverado for 8 years without issues. Velcro held up well on both. I now have an Access one on my 13 Sierra. They last for me but I can see Velcro wearing out if unrolled / rolled up on a frequent basis.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax
That's right, if it's a daily thing I can't see the Velcro lasting that long. I'll most likely take mine off for the warmer months, just unclamp, lift it off in one piece and hang it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts