Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a post-wreck build finishing up I may share on my 07. Stuck trying to get her rolling again is taking longer than the build like the brakes out due to air in the module. Everything in the brake system was cleaned or replaced - at one point it was all off the truck. Replacement ABS module, new NiCop lines, cleaned the master, new hoses, calipers, drums, rotors, pad and shoes.

I've researched the air bleed problem to death, watched videos, etc.

Im in a jam and need to get it rolling yesterday. It would be a mistake to attempt driving it to a shop until the brakes are bled, front end aligned (all new parts and lift), etc. Thought about calling up one of those online mechanics (YourMechanic.com) to stop by but the charge to send someone out to plug in their ABS tool costs as much as the tool itself. Paying to get it towed to the mechanic would be an even bigger waste of $$.

So......does anyone have experience with the various digital brake bleed scan tools? Like this one for example - ABS & Airbag Reset Tool with SAS Calibration_Foxwell. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,991 Posts
Hot damn that looks good but unfortunately I am of no help here. I normally use a snap-on scanner that my uncle has at his shop.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Why is your dog looking so guilty? :sneaky:

Truck looks great. I like your thought process. May be cheaper in long run to buy a tool that will cycle the ABS for bleed procedure. I looked at the manual and it seems that tool will cycle the ABS for bleeding, but I have to assume you knew that already. What's the price of that tool?

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
632 Posts
I bought Autogenuity w gm enhancement for bleeding my abs brakes (as well as diagnosing what was wrong with my truck, as it can access all the computers in the truck, over 10). Not cheap but works well for me (also have used it on several other vehicles). If I needed to buy something now, I'd get a used or knockoff tech ii for it.

I don't know your abs system, but for the GMT800's, the abs system only has a small amount of air in it. The brakes would still work alright, and at least some people would bleed the brakes, then go and drive on gravel roads to do some panic stops to activate the abs system several times, then rebleed the brakes to bleed the abs system instead of paying someone to do it the prescribed way.

·
Registered
2021 Trail Boss LT L84 10L90
287 Posts
You cannot buy a scantool for under about $800.00 that can bleed ABS. It has to be able to do bi-directional controls.

So your theory of the cost for someone to come bleed them being the same price of the tool is out the window.

You can bleed it by locking up the wheels on gravel, rebleed, rinse repeat until the pedal comes up. But you need to have working brakes for that, so if you can't drive to the shop that is out the window too.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
632 Posts
You can find tech ii's for less then $800cdn, which would work with his truck, and Autogenuity w GM Enhancement was less than that for me...

And the brakes should be functional/adequate for driving even without bleeding the abs, if it's similar to how the GMT800 abs system works.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is your dog looking so guilty? :sneaky:

Truck looks great. I like your thought process. May be cheaper in long run to buy a tool that will cycle the ABS for bleed procedure. I looked at the manual and it seems that tool will cycle the ABS for bleeding, but I have to assume you knew that already. What's the price of that tool?
I've seen it listed as cheap as $110 (out of stock, of course) and available anywhere from $120-$140 depending on delivery time.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought Autogenuity w gm enhancement for bleeding my abs brakes (as well as diagnosing what was wrong with my truck, as it can access all the computers in the truck, over 10). Not cheap but works well for me (also have used it on several other vehicles). If I needed to buy something now, I'd get a used or knockoff tech ii for it.

I don't know your abs system, but for the GMT800's, the abs system only has a small amount of air in it. The brakes would still work alright, and at least some people would bleed the brakes, then go and drive on gravel roads to do some panic stops to activate the abs system several times, then rebleed the brakes to bleed the abs system instead of paying someone to do it the prescribed way.
The 900s are notorious for being unbleedable by hand if you've cracked open the lines to the module. I had to replace my module after it was attacked by rust and found one guaranteed on eBay from an 07 Suburban. I couldn't get a bleed even using a vacuum pump. That module has valves that apparently lock you out and need to cycle.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You cannot buy a scantool for under about $800.00 that can bleed ABS. It has to be able to do bi-directional controls.

So your theory of the cost for someone to come bleed them being the same price of the tool is out the window.

You can bleed it by locking up the wheels on gravel, rebleed, rinse repeat until the pedal comes up. But you need to have working brakes for that, so if you can't drive to the shop that is out the window too.
It specifically advertises: "Removes air from the internal brake fluid chambers after servicing brakes." So who's got it wrong? C'mon Bow tie.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've seen it listed as cheap as $110 (out of stock, of course) and available anywhere from $120-$140 depending on delivery time.
Well worth the money IMHO. And as I've said numerous times on this forum, sometimes these GM trucks can be a real PITA to bleed. I also use the AutoEnginuity program on my laptop (program cost $600 about 5 years ago), and my typical process is: bleed - cycle ABS - bleed - cycle ABS - bleed - cycle ABS - bleed. And I keep repeating that process until pedal is good. Sometimes it can take me half a dozen complete sessions, usually done after a day or two each time.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well worth the money IMHO. And as I've said numerous times on this forum, sometimes these GM trucks can be a real PITA to bleed. I also use the AutoEnginuity program on my laptop (program cost $600 about 5 years ago), and my typical process is: bleed - cycle ABS - bleed - cycle ABS - bleed - cycle ABS - bleed. And I keep repeating that process until pedal is good. Sometimes it can take me half a dozen complete sessions, usually done after a day or two each time.
Thanks - will keep that process in mind. Someone said earlier that you cant bleed with these $120 versions but these are bi-ditectional and specifically indicate removal of air from module. Looks like they're finally making it easier for lower budget hacks like me to get things done. 👍

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks - will keep that process in mind. Someone said earlier that you cant bleed with these $120 versions but these are bi-ditectional and specifically indicate removal of air from module. Looks like they're finally making it easier for lower budget hacks like me to get things done. 👍
I stand corrected. Most cheap tools like that will not perform the ABS bleed but apparently that one does.
Just gotta be careful when we state what CAN and can't be done here. Schleps like me stop in here and take stuff as gospel sometimes. Picked it up overnight and It really goes to town on the ABS module by the way. Initiates that motor in the module down there and forces you to pump the pedal till your leg falls off - for all four wheels. Whew.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts