Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, slowly fixing this truck up to good shape. My ABS light and Parking Brake light is on. I've read they can be related, but not sure when they came on. I know for a fact my parking brake doesn't work. The cables are all there, I think it came unhooked from inside the disc/drum set up. Would the parking brake not working cause the light to come on? Is there a way to tell if the two lights are related? Any recommended scanner that can read ABS codes to find exactly which wheel its from..

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
I believe some of the newer scanner AutoZone and other parts houses have can read abs codes but I'm not 100% positive on that.

Most all good scan tools will read abs codes though.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would a bad hub cause the parking brake light to be on as well? I don't remember what lights came on the the hub went bad on my 99. I have a new spare hub sitting in a box in the shelf, but don't feel like replacing it if it's not bad. Neither side is making any noise, and the passenger side hub looks new, so I'm suspecting LF is bad?

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
Usually a bad hub will cause an abs light. I wouldn't just go replacing parts. Get the codes read and see what they say. That can at least help narrow it down a bit.

· Registered
14 Posts
I have an ABS light on mine now and it's a bad speed sensor according to the scan tool. Parking brake lights come on for various reasons including low fluid level. I'm not suggesting these are your problems, just that both lights on may or may not be related. Definitely best to wait for your scan tool before investing money in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I already have a hub. Found it behind the seats when I bought the truck..I still am going to scan the code. But just curiosity, if I plug in my new hub without installing it, will the computer think it's fixed, in turn making the light go off?

· Registered
3,323 Posts
ABS light comming on automatically after turning on is a bad wheel speed sensor typically. On the NNBS the other light that comes on is the stabilitrac. I know because i just put in a Timkin bearing Sunday before last and the sensor didn't work so it automatically started lighting up my dash like a Christmas tree.

But thats a good idea, you should be able to pull the wiring without even taking a wheel off so you can plug the replacement in and see if the light goes out to pinpoint. I will give you some advice though since i just went through this. Dont even waste your time putting that bearing in unless its a Delco, Moog or Timkin or other named brand. You will be doing it again in 12-18 months. I was short on cash when i had to replace my passenger front and within 18 months it was causing the ABS to kick on etc.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks.. That was my thought about brand.. I had put Timken in my 99 when they went. Did both sides. There was something about them that they just felt sturdy.. Maybe cause I trust Timken quite a bit. 115bucks from Amazon for the Timken hub, sounds cheap, but they were legit Timken. I don't like to chance with some off-brand I've never heard of

· Registered
3,323 Posts
rockauto is about that price, nice thing is when you buy everything through rockauto the warranty process is much easier than Amazon. Dont get me wrong, i am a very powerful amazon user, just for 5-10 bucks ill take the customer service.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got my scanner yesterday.. after the mail lady sent it to the wrong house on Friday :x 13 ABS codes.. 4 for the suspected LF hub. 7 for other stuff involving the ABS controller. I'm hoping they are involved with the hub/wheel speed sensor. Not sure exactly what the codes were (didn't write them down), but they involved lower circuit voltage, and the solenoids, and all that fancy ABS stuff :roll:

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Clear all the codes and turn the key off, then start the truck for a minute. See what codes come back, some of them might have been history codes that are not a problem anymore.

If one of them is a C0265 the module needs to be repaired. Google GM C0265 and you will find lots of info. Once the module is repaired all the other related controller codes will also disappear.

· Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, that's one of them I believe. They come back right away. Looked it up briefly and I'm going to check the ground tomorrow underneath the driver side door. The chassis was coated and maybe the ground was messed with unknowingly in the process..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.