Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 00 Siverado 1500 with the 4.8

My AC clutch is having a tough time engaging. The gap is to large. Unfortunately i do not have the screw adjustable type. I have the one with shims. I am having trouble adjusting/removing with the compressor still on the truck-there is not much room. Has anyone know of any technique that works without removing the compressor?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

· Registered
135 Posts
I do not know your skill level so I am gonna give a bit of warning just in case. If you do not know the exact measurement of the gap and you do not have feeler gauges, do NOT attempt to adjust it. The only thing I can tell you is that you can remove the compressor enough to adjust the gap but it will require a steady and skilled hand as it requires bending your lines little and if you are not skilled you may kink or snap the lines.
I am also curious to know why you think that it is the clutch that is the issue. It might be the coil. If it is the coil it could cause the clutch not it engage complete either. I just don't want you to do a bunch of work just to find out that you didn't have to. Keep me posted.

· Registered
135 Posts
For something like that I would probably recommend getting a clutch and coil for it. In most cases people get the whole compressor just because it will already be put together. The issue is that if it engages fine when cold but not when it warms up there is usually a warpage issue. It is basically just like brakes where there is no vibration when the brakes are cold but then it vibrates or shakes when the brakes warm up. If you are trying to save some money by doing it yourself I would recommend the clutch and coil but if you are looking to have it done quickly and with a guarantee that it is correct, I would spend the extra money on the compressor and a/c recharge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.