Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 SLT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the condenser replaced and the refrigerant charged, it takes a lo-oong time for the cabin to cool off. The air blows cold, but not icy cold like all my other cars. Is this normal?

·
Registered
474 Posts
What do the gauge pressures indicate? Was it a modern parallel flow condenser that got installed?

Are the fans working correctly?

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
After having the condenser replaced and the refrigerant charged, it takes a lo-oong time for the cabin to cool off. The air blows cold, but not icy cold like all my other cars. Is this normal?
There's a lot of things that need checking. All the aforementioned first and then check the recirculate actuator commanded and actual positions with a bi-directional scan tool like a Snap-On Solus or GM MDI2 and a laptop running the GDS2 software.

Reactions: peewee0413

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There's a lot of things that need checking. All the aforementioned first and then check the recirculate actuator commanded and actual positions with a bi-directional scan tool like a Snap-On Solus or GM MDI2 and a laptop running the GDS2 software.
Well done, you just want over half the people who read these threads head...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
To nobody in particular, these aren't 1980s pickups. They are way more sophisticated with loads of creature comforts and lots of little computers and more enduring too because of all this technology. A DIYer cannot work on these things without a dealer level scan tool. Without it, folks waste time and enormous sums of money guessing as to what the problem is when a scan tool could have told them or at least put them on the scent within a minute. Mine has saved me thousands of dollars and sharing it with others has saved lots of other folks money as well.

Reactions: davester3500

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,928 Posts
Yup, a good scan tool (I have Autogenuity w gm enhancement) and access to the full-service manual, they have enabled me to fix all kinds of stuff that would have cost thousands of dollars for a mechanic or dealer to fix... I've also needed to buy a variety of other tools, so occasionally, for a specific fix, it may get close to costing about what a mechanic would charge, but then I also have the tool to use down the road.

·
Registered
05 Z71 5.3
175 Posts
Hey I have an 05 sierra 1500. I don't hear my clutch fan (that little tick?). Could that be the reason my AC isn't cold and does fill a lil colder when driving at 50mpg or so?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yes, that is very precisely a good reason why your AC system under performs. But I've never heard a clutch fan make an odd noise. It just "does" its thing.

Rick

·
Registered
05 Z71 5.3
175 Posts
Yes, that is very precisely a good reason why your AC system under performs. But I've never heard a clutch fan make an odd noise. It just "does" its thing.

Rick
I probably called it wrong, but when your AC is on, shouldn't you hear some tick on the engine bay like something is cycling? Tick or click every so often?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 SLT
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the input. The dealer thinks a dirty cabin air filter may be the culprit. It was only 6 months old but it was really clogged. We'll see over the next few days if this does the trick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts