Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
08 Silverado 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it comes AC Delco brakes, is the OES line the same that originally came on the truck?

Rockauto has the OES rotors for basically the same price as the Wagners and Raybestos rotors and if they are the same, I might go with those. They will be paired with Akebono PROact pads.

I'm getting some squealing from a brand new set of Adavantage pads and rotors and I'm wondering if it is because of a cheaper pad and rotor and not a higher quality.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
For GM vehicles ACDelco offers a Good / Better / Best. Their good is Advantage, better is DuraStop and best is OE. The OE is the same parts that came on the vehicle from the factory. Good luck hope you get them quiet.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just stuck with which to go with. There are so many rotor choices it's tough. I think I want to go with Akebono pads but stuck between either Wagner, Raybestos or AC Delco OES rotors. I'm sure either will work but just don't know. All are within $5 of each so which do you think would be best?

That or go with Raybestos pads and rotors. I just don't low which to go with. Everything on the truck is working and all points are greased properly.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Most of the time OE parts (regardless of the manufacturer GM / F*rD / D*dge / Toyot* ) are more expensive than the aftermarket. If I can get the OE brake parts for close to what I'd pay for a good aftermarket part then I'd run with the OE rotors and a premium pad (Raybestos AT, ACDelco DuraStop, Akebono).
EDIT (after thought) don't forget to check Amazon.com. They have very competitive prices I just bought ACDelco rotors and ACDelco pads from them last month for my brother's SUV. Free shipping was a big selling point for me.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll go with the AC Delco rotors with the Akebono pads since the Akebonos are the OE supplier and will be pairing the correct pad and rotor combination together.

Second choice would prob be Raybestos since the pad and rotor combination is designed to work together.

I've tried a few different combinations and they all have squealed. Not sure if its the quality or the wrong pad rotor combination. It's weird because I used the advantage pad/rotor combination on my dads 07 avalanche and they are whisper quiet.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Good luck, that sounds like a good combination to run with. Let me know how it goes. One step a lot of people skip is to wash the new rotors with dish soap and water. Doing this helps to remove residual metal shavings from machining process. It sounds silly to think soap and water is better than spraying them with brake cleaner but it is an easy step so I do it and been lucky so far.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope so. I contacted Akebono to see if there was a recommended rotor to use with their pads and the only one they could recommend was the OE rotor which let me to the OES line.

From the picture on AC Delco's site and RockAuto, it looks like they are painted gray. The descriptions even say fully painted. How does this affect the pads and stopping if the rotor face is painted?

It's a toss-up between that and the Raybestos AT pad/rotor combination.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It won't let me edit my last post but I had one other question.

On the OES rotors, they are painted gray (the entire rotor, not just the hat). Does this need to be cleaned off or milled down or do I just wash them with some soap and install? Will the coating come off as I apply the brakes?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Raybestos was oe for a long time... iirc I like wagner thermoquiet

Just because something is oe doesn't always mean its the best quality... it just means they made the best contract offer

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Mossyoakglock said:
It won't let me edit my last post but I had one other question.

On the OES rotors, they are painted gray (the entire rotor, not just the hat). Does this need to be cleaned off or milled down or do I just wash them with some soap and install? Will the coating come off as I apply the brakes?
The coated (painted) area of the rotor where the pad makes contact will quickly be removed. Absolutely no need to resurface / 'turn' a brand new rotor. Wash with soap and water and install.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. It's the only rotor I've ever seen that was fully painted like this.

Hopefully this solves my noise issue with a higher quality pad/rotor combination. It's strange because I get no noise when they are cold (even when it was 29* the other morning) but they only start making noise once they are heated up but it doesn't do it all the time. It has new guide pins and boots as well and nothing is making contact with anything it shouldn't and everything is moving freely.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the new pads and rotors didn't fix it. Took it to the dealer to have them check it out and of course they could not duplicate the noise een though it did it on the way there. I've come to figure out that they can never duplicate an noise your truck makes when you need it to.

They said all parts looked good and everything was working properly and nothing rubbing so now it's time to try and figure this out. I keep thinking it might be the right caliper sticking when it gets warm. It doesn't do it if I hit the brakes hard, only moderate to light pressure. The sound sounds like it is coming from the right side too.

Somebody suggested the crc disc brake quiet but I thought you were not supposed to use it with shimmed pads. Has anybody used that suff with shimmed pads?

It has done the same thing with three different pad/rotor combinations so it cant be the pads. I thought about putting my hawk LTS pads back on to see what happens. Are semi metallic pads harder or softer than ceramic?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
New/rebuilt calipers aren't too expensive; why not put new ones one? At least the right side and see if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can get a new AC Delco GM caliper for $115 from RockAuto so I might go ahead and do that.

I got to thinking last night that could it be the rear shoes? They are new AC Delco Durastops that have been on for about 2-3 months. It's always hard to tell where brake noise is coming from as it can bounce around under the truck. Just a thought since 3 different pad/rotor combinations have not fixed the noise issue.

I'll probably pull the rear drums off this weekend and make sure the rear pistons are functioning properly and that there is enough grease and regrease if needed.

Does anybody know what the factory friction material is for the rear shoes? Would it make much of a different between ceramic and semi-metallic on rear shoes?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.