Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A year ago my truck, 2001 GMC 1500 with a 5.3 suddenly just stopped. Turned out to be the fuel pump gone bad. Replaced it with an AC Delco unit since that is what most people recommend instead of going with some cheaper aftermarket stuff. Well, yesterday it stopped again. Have checked everything like bad wires, bad ground. Took the tank down and the pump out and it is really completely dead.
It has been in the truck for only about a year and 5K miles.

Anyone else experienced that short life time on an AC Delco pump or did I just have bad luck?

This is the pump I installed:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AC-DELCO-FU ... iW&vxp=mtr

· Registered
1,116 Posts
Interesting, didn't know you could get just the pump piece and not the full assembly.

The AC Delco Advantage is their cheaper pump. Could have just gotten a fluke either way however. I've honestly never had a fuel pump die yet in any of my vehicles (knock on wood).

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BCZ71 said:
You may want to go with the whole assembly this time. The fuel level sending units (original) are notorious for going bad on the 99-03 silverado's and sierra's.
Maybe that would have been a good idea. Unfortunately I have already ordered a new pump, just the pump unit. On the good side, I have no issues at all with the fuel level sending unit, the tank gauge works just fine.

· Registered
787 Posts
I have owned my 1999 Silverado about 15 years and it is on it's 4th fuel pump. All ACDelco. The last pump I put in was proactively installed while I had the bed off for some body work. The pump was working fine but it was coming up on the 5 year mark. Based on history it seems like mines goes through a pump every 5 years. The last two pumps were part number MU1613. The first one was factory installed and I don't know for sure about the second pump except it was an ACDelco.

· Servicemen, TOTM
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
7,682 Posts

· Registered
1,629 Posts
I would be cautious of knockoff delco parts from ebay... with this short of a lifespan, this is probably the case.

One thing that shortens a fuel pumps life is continuially running the truck below a quarter tank. The fuel cools the pump. With no fuel it overheats and shortens life.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for replies. Lot of interesting reading in the replies and the links. The connector was already changed to the upgraded version. I read in one of the links that a guy carried a rubber mallet in truck to punch the tank and get the pump working. Think I will do the same, if the pump starts going bad again that might help me get the truck home on its own and avoid a towing.

· Registered
1,629 Posts
A good quality pump should last well over 100k... Rockauto has a delco assembly for $140 or the delphi for $158. I prefer the delphi as i have had good luck with them.

Spend the extra money and do it right, once. I hate driving a vehicle that i think may strand me at any moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.