Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for another "spark plug" thread... but something just confused me here...

2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE, Crew Cab, 5.3L, VIN 3 (8th digit off the VIN), 118K miles

About 3 years or so ago, I replaced the spark plugs (alone) just because I want to (guessing about 50K-60K milegae). At that time, I used O'Reilly website (and still do today). I input the make/model of my truck on their website. then search for the spark plugs. It showed that #41-110 fits my truck, so I bought and installed those.

Now, today, I did the same thing (input the make/model), now it shows the #41-110 does NOT fit this truck. So, was I using the wrong plugs all along? Or could this be a website glitches? Anyhow, should I stick with #41-110 or go with something else, since now it's over 100K miles?

#41-110 (ACDelco Professional Iridium Spark Plug)
#41-962 (ACDelco Professional Platinum Spark Plug)
#R44LTSM (ACDelco Spark Plug)

Question, would #41-110 be in between or regular and Platinum? I don't want those HOT firing plugs (yes, gap would be .040"). The #R44LTSM would be the coolest of all, yet basic, still good? I just asking...

Recently, it's been idling low (400 rpm). My mechanic looked at it and said the cyl #1 is not firing as should be, and suggested a tune up.

I will be doing the spark plugs, wires (ACDelco 748UU), air filter, what else? All fluids are filled to top line. There are no PVC, no fuel filter, etc. Also, after tune up, I will do both differential oil change, and a flush (including changing the thermostat). Dealer did a transmission fluid change when I bought the truck at 40K (I requested that and they did it for no charge), so I am going to leave that alone (the fluid still look redish and smell good, hhmmm).

Since I had this engine fixed (new fuel pump and a dealer alcohol reset), of course, I am going to stick with regular unleaded gasoline. Should I change that thing with V4/V8 cyls thing? Right now, it's V4/V8. if I should change it to V8, how to do that? YouTube.com?

·
Registered
22,408 Posts
For the last part. You ether need to buy a range device or a tuner like diablo to turn off the v4/8 afm mode.

It will only help your engine and make it run smoother by turning it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,799 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just pulled it up in my GM parts catalog. The correct plug for your engine is the 41-162 plug the Iridium version - OE plug. The 41-962 can also be used- but that is the double platinum version as an optional plug. The R44LTSM is just the conventional plug- they dont recommend using that one- because it would have to be changed every 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ACDELCO R44LTSM {#19157998} Professional; Conventional
Gap .040
or
ACDELCO 41962 Professional; Double Platinum
Gap .040
or
ACDELCO 6 Professional; Rapidfire
Gap .040
or
ACDELCO 41162 Professional; Iridium
Engine VIN 0; Engine VIN 3; Original Equipment; Gap .040
I found these..

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
How is it this is the first any of us has heard of a change from the 41-110's??

I know there was an update to older vortec 5.3's but ha e not seen any info on a change for the 07-13 vortec.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 via Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
384 Posts
When I searched plugs for my 2011 (5.3 vin 3) the 41-110 comes up as a recommended plug.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
Which ever ones you get....dont forget your rebate.

https://m.acdelco.com/offers-promotions ... lsrc=aw.ds

They used to have rebate directly available through Amazon but not seeing it now. I think I will still keep the 40-110 in the running when I do mine again. Will just see which are better priced. I presume they are pretty much the same really.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 9 via Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the rebate link... thanks!

As I was looking at Amazon.com, noticed a big price differences than O'Reilly retail. So, I am gonna order thru Amazon.com. Now, when I looked at set of 8 spark plugs, it shows 9748uu wire set suggested. So, next question is... what is difference #748UU vs 9748UU? Looks like the 748UU is OEM and other is "Professional". What matters to me is to get the highest quality of these two, or is there another ACDelco wire set I should be looking at?

$35.45 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-9748...rds=9748UU&qid=1555462120&s=automotive&sr=1-1

$68.86 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-748U...ords=748UU&qid=1555462006&s=automotive&sr=1-1

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CNT said:
As we know, should NOT go with "cheap" spark plug wires. So, which would be best wire set to get for my 2010 GMC? The OEM is priced at $68.86 and the "Pro" is at $35.45. Which one is high performance? I won't mind buying the OEM, just want to know why price far difference? Is the OEM standard performance?

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
True OEM will have the GM part number on them:

https://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-1 ... ive&sr=1-2

This may help:

I have no issue with the Pro grade stuff...especially for such a cost difference. These are not cheaply made aftermarket, but rather same or near OEM quality.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nealinator said:
True OEM will have the GM part number on them:
I see... So the name/label "ACDelco" can or not necessary mean GM manufactured parts? The wire set (#748UU) shows "AC Delco... PREMIUM SILICONE TRIM" on the wire. Well, instead of me doing time-wasted research right now, I think I will just order those (#748UU), along with the Iridium plugs (41-162), so I sleep tonight.

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
True. I have seen purely AC Delco packaged stuff...and also parts with both the AC Delco logo and part number as well as the GM logo and part number on it.

Sleep well! haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
what does your owners manual say to use? (if that was already brought up, I must have missed it) I always use OEM, per the manual, but that's just me and my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
All well and good for a "new" vehicle, but for one with a few years under its belt, it's a good ideas to check for updates to the specs.
Can't update the manual in your glovebox very easily.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes I literally just took out a 41-110 and installed a 4-162 that was shown on the computer screen from Advanced Auto. Also included a picture of my plug. I'm thinking the residue is oil can anyone confirm? I am throwing code P0305 "misfire on cylinder 5". Will a simple plug replacement clear the code? Also going to do the other 7 instead of just the 1. I'm well past 75-100k Miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
BigBlueLB756 said:
All well and good for a "new" vehicle, but for one with a few years under its belt, it's a good ideas to check for updates to the specs.
Can't update the manual in your glovebox very easily.
Guess I thought he said it was a 13, my 05 still used what was listed in the manual, so I figured a 13 would also

1 - 20 of 26 Posts