Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to level my truck and add 33s 33.5s or 34s

From what I understand the risk of premature wear with the leveling shocks is less than adding spacers. Correct?

Are there any accounts of this or is this theoretical?

Im probably going to buy extended warranty so worst care scenario if I had to do a full front end rebuild and my warranty was voided I would pay how much?

A more likely scenario where I have to replace ball joints would run me what $500?

I've also read it's common to replace ball joints at 100,000 anyways . So if I drive the truck to 150,000 I'm either going to replace them at 75,000 and again at 150,000 if I haven't traded it or replace them at 100 or 120 out of warranty?

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Not sure where you read that. There is no difference in using the 5100s to level or the spacers. The minimal wear is the same. But you will only get 1.77in of lift with the 5100s as opposed to 2-2.5 with spacers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· SilveradoSierra Guru, How-To Author
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,666 Posts
I've got a good argument either way Bilstein or spacers.

Lift is lift period either way you achieve it. You usually just get lower heights with the Bilsteins when compared to a 2.5" Leveling kit or so.

So with the lower height of the Bilsteins you'll have minimal wear, about the same as a 2" Leveling kit. Which is nothing in the long run to worry about. Guys who stick 2.5" or larger Leveling kits under their truck without a diff drop. Will run into ball joint, cv and possibly tie rod wear a lot quicker.

If the Bilstein are what you want, buy'um!

· Registered
594 Posts
Any changes to the suspension geometry can cause increased wear. Increased wear is usually associated with the larger leveling kits. Larger and wider (heavier) wheels and tires also add stress to the front end which increases wear.

If you go with a moderate level lift and wheels/tires, you are less likely to have issues than if you attempt to max everything out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.