Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just traded my 2011 Z71 (140,000) for a new LT 4x4. The only thing not on the truck is a hitch for what I need. I'll be towing a car trailer with a track car from time to time. Hitch recommendations and how can I tell if the wire looms I am seeing are for the trailer hitch? There's a wire loom coiled up by the spare and looks like that could be it.

Thanks!

· Registered
572 Posts
Lukestruck said:
Also should mention that the trans is equipped with tow mode so hoping that a sign of a pre-wired truck...
I think all Silverado 1500 have the tow mode. My 2017 WT does.
Buying the truck with the towing package is a good deal; hitch socket, 4 &7 pin plugs and limited slip rear.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,378 Posts
No limited slips in trucks, all are lockers. Limited slip differential are used in performance cars like the Camaro, CTS-V etc.

G80 is free-flow option code for non-standard differential; can mean either a locker or limited slip, depends on the vehicle which type is used.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Check your rpo codes for the proper gear ratio. Considering it didn't come with a hitch it might not have a low enough ratio to pull your car trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,194 Posts
After you figure out your hitch dilemma, have an auxiliary transmission cooler installed. Its a must on any truck that tows unless you like to overheat transmissions on nice hot days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.