Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call this morning from a dealer that I ordered a new truck from saying my truck has been made and it is on its way to the dealer right now. Then I get a call a couple hours later from a different person from the dealership saying: Hey, that price we quoted you has now gone up. GM raised the prices and now your price is $3,500 more.

He whined about how GM raised the prices and now the prices are higher and they'd take a loss selling to me at the price they quoted me so I'm going to have to pay more. He says he will work with me to get the price down. With some rebates and my Costco membership, he can get the price increase down to only about $1,000.

I'm a little skeptical at this point, so I google price increase and come up with this: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/10/ ... tle-rages/

So, I guess he is telling the truth, GM did increase the prices. But I did sign on an invoice showing a lower price, so my question is - Can they legally make me pay more to get the truck, or do they have to honor the price that I originally agreed to?

Here is the kicker - I originally thought the truck was ordered around the first week of September. My deposit check was cashed on 9/11 and I thought all was good and I was patiently waiting for a call saying to come get my new truck. Then in early October I get a call from a different person than the one I was dealing with asking if I still wanted to order the truck? WTF? I returned her call and got her voicemail, and I said, Yeah I still want it.........it was ordered in September. She calls again and we play phone tag for over a week. Then I finally get a hold of her and get the whole story: the person I was dealing with is no longer at the dealership and she says there is hardly anything in my file and no truck was ordered.

I thought about just saying screw it and get it somewhere else, but I had already done a bunch of research and that was the best pricing I could find so I sucked it up and told her to go ahead and order it, and I sent in a signed copy of the build sheet again (the first one I sent in back in Sept with my deposit check was not in the file).

So, I send my authorization for the build on Oct 16th (again this is the second time since they lost the one I sent in early Sept). They ordered the truck and now just about one month later they call and say poor us, the factory raised the pricing. (Oh, the guy ordering the truck did say that they wouldn't have been able to order the truck earlier anyway because the 3.73 gears that I wanted weren't available until the time that they actually did order the truck. I'm not sure how true that is; they sure didn't tell me that when I tried to order it in Sept.)???

So, my question is - should I just be happy paying more than what I thought I was going to pay? I kind of planned on getting factory rebates when it came in anyway, so the fact that I'm getting a rebate doesn't seem like much anyway. Usually a guy can count on factory incentives this time of year of 1,000 or 1,500 bucks, right? The guy at the dealer is saying they are taking a loss even with me paying more.

Can they legally have me pay more than the agreed amount? It does kind of screw the dealers when the factory increases pricing. Can't the dealer explain to GM that they had this deal in the works and the price increase is going to hurt them?

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone can give some advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,121 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but I would think if you had a signed contract at an agreed price, that it would be binding......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
If you signed on the dotted line agreeing to pay a price, then that's the price. The fact that they f*cked up and didn't order the truck on time to get that price is their problem. Read the fine print on the invoice you signed just to be sure there's no clause allowing them to change the price. As long as there isn't I'd take the invoice and slam it on the sales manager's desk and demand he honor the deal. If they won't give you the price, call GM corporate and call the BBB.

A slight aside, my boss had a sorta similar issue last year buying his F150, except the problem was how the truck was optioned, not the price. Long story short, he refused to buy the wrong optioned truck and had to call Ford corporate to get the dealer to give him his deposit and trade-in title back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Read the full contract you executed I bet you will find that they have an out legally. That being said I would pursue it with GM before you give up. First read the document to see where you stand. Always good to know that first so when push comes to shove you know what your options are. Good luck..
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top