Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using the Diablo Sport Sprint module to cancel the AFM on their truck? I don't want to do a tuner yet. After driving my new to me 2012, I can say I hate the cylinder deactivation junk. I really didn't realize how sporadic it is until I put a Super 10 muffler on it this weekend and could here the exhaust note changing and realized the changes I was feeling was the deactivation, and not throttle changes. I guess if you live in flatland country it would be alright, but in WV you don't get much flat ground for the deactivation to stay in 4 or 6 mode. This has to be hard on the engine constantly going back and forth between modes, and I can see where it causes problems with plugs and so on. My other question is with the Range device, it states on their website that it should be unplugged if the truck isn't driven for a prolonged period. I might drive my truck everyday, but sometimes it might sit for 5 or so days. Would I have to unplug if it were to sit for say a week?

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
Because its an electric devise that puts a constant drain on your battery, im sure the diablo devise will do the same thing.

If youre going to spend that much money on one of those devises, you might as well spend a little more for the tuner. The drivability increase is worth the extra money.

Usually the range type devises are used for new trucks when the owner doesn't want to risk voiding the warranty.

· Banned
2,174 Posts
With the common components and low consumption microcontrollers available and popular now that's seems very odd. There should be no strain to sit for weeks with a lithium coin cell battery. There should be no strain on the battery. Must be a bug.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,225 Posts
There are numerous threads about those devises causing parasitic drain on batteries and killing them when left to sit. Just unplug it periodically. Is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
2,174 Posts
Ok, I would want to get to the bottom of it though. Are they all doing it some, What causes it etc? Is it constantly running, that's still a lot of power to drain you battery in a week? The device should not do that so there is an issue somewhere. Depending on the problem it could alter voltage and disrupt canbus signals causing more issues. I don't have one and that sounds like I may not want one.

Anyone had issues running regularly? While driving?

· Registered
126 Posts
I'd like to say that I left my Range plugged in 24/7 on my 2011 Silverado with zero problems. Longest it sat was 4 days and started just fine the following morning. I think, I say THINK, I read somewhere that the battery drain affects the newer vehicles like 2015 and 16.

· Registered
875 Posts
I dont care about the afm thing as much. I would like to try one to see what difference it makes. What i really would like to limit is the gm torque management. I think that causes more issues with driveability then anything else.

· Registered
126 Posts
ericlw said:
I dont care about the afm thing as much. I would like to try one to see what difference it makes. What i really would like to limit is the gm torque management. I think that causes more issues with driveability then anything else.
Firm shifts and TM turned off makes for a happy truck, at least mine's happier. Plus AFM is turned off.

· Registered
132 Posts
I just noticed that diablo sold the devices and was wondering the same thing. I called yesterday and talked to a guy. I told him my truck may set for 2 weeks to a month without driving it and would the module drain my battery. His reply was if your truck sets for a month the battery will be dead anyway. Even diesels with 2 batteries will be dead.

· Registered
5 Posts
vrodrex said:
Is anyone using the Diablo Sport Sprint module to cancel the AFM on their truck? I don't want to do a tuner yet. After driving my new to me 2012, I can say I hate the cylinder deactivation junk. I really didn't realize how sporadic it is until I put a Super 10 muffler on it this weekend and could here the exhaust note changing and realized the changes I was feeling was the deactivation, and not throttle changes. I guess if you live in flatland country it would be alright, but in WV you don't get much flat ground for the deactivation to stay in 4 or 6 mode. This has to be hard on the engine constantly going back and forth between modes, and I can see where it causes problems with plugs and so on. My other question is with the Range device, it states on their website that it should be unplugged if the truck isn't driven for a prolonged period. I might drive my truck everyday, but sometimes it might sit for 5 or so days. Would I have to unplug if it were to sit for say a week?
I just received mine today from autoanything.com. I'm going to run it tomorrow and I can let you know how I make out. I know most use Range but I decided to go with Diablo. I noticed the AFM shift more after I put my Carven exhaust on, so I understand what you mean.

· Registered
208 Posts
mikew said:
I just noticed that diablo sold the devices and was wondering the same thing. I called yesterday and talked to a guy. I told him my truck may set for 2 weeks to a month without driving it and would the module drain my battery. His reply was if your truck sets for a month the battery will be dead anyway. Even diesels with 2 batteries will be dead.
Mine may set for a month at a time or longer without being driven. I own several battery maintainers for the vehicles and toys that don't get driven or rode much. My battery in my 2011 Sierra is the original battery, and is over 6 years old now and still going strong. Battery maintainers are worth the money. The battery in my 93' GMC was installed in May of 08' and is still going. If I had not kept it on a maintainer, I'm sure it would have not lasted more than 5 years tops. These newer vehicles do tend to discharge batteries more quickly than older vehicles, especially if you let them set for long periods of time.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rnu2000 said:
vrodrex said:
I just received mine today from autoanything.com. I'm going to run it tomorrow and I can let you know how I make out. I know most use Range but I decided to go with Diablo. I noticed the AFM shift more after I put my Carven exhaust on, so I understand what you mean.
Definitely let me know. Thanks

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rnu2000 said:
vrodrex said:
How's the Sprint working for you?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.