Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 gmc sierra with a 6.2 litre with 70k miles... I'm frustrated, I'm on my second set of lifters (16) and also camshaft.. the reason I'm writing this post is my truck has been in the dealership for going on two months... The question I have is why is gm not being held accountable for a poor design as its costing me $5500... I have been a gm person my entire adult life but unfortunately I think I'm done and I have no confidence in my vehicle anymore , I'm afraid it will breakdown again... I have seen a new service bulletin has been issued and some class action lawsuits are in the works regarding this problem ..

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,007 Posts
Good luck with the lawsuits.
After the dealership puts the same defective crap back in, call Texas Speed and invest in an AFM delete kit.

It is a bad design, but failure seems to be the luck of the draw, so to speak.
There are numerous threads and posts on this.....search some.

Reactions: Leveled17yeti

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,341 Posts
Yeah, this is a hot topic and it's the primary reason I will never buy another (I owned one, and sold it) GM vehicle that has this God-awful AFM. It's just about the dumbest thing I ever saw, and they obviously use sub-standard parts, and then they tell you "hey, it's fine to go for lots of miles between oil changes".... a true recipe for disaster.

As roorancher says above, the delete kit is the way to go. If I had one of them installed, I would be a happy camper.

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
813 Posts
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I had an 09 I bought new and sold it with 175k kilometres on it. Bought a 13 new and sold it with 204k kilometres on it. Never had an AFM issue with either one. I changed oil every 5k kilometres with top quality oils mostly Mobil 1. However I noticed that both mine never went into 4 cylinder mode a lot. In fact it took a lot to get it to stay in that mode. A good tail wind and no more than 60 mph. I’ve read posts on here where guys were going 65+ mph and it’s in 4 cyl mode. Not a chance here. Now I just have to worry about diesel issues lol.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,341 Posts
..... 09 with 175k kilometres....... 13 new with 204k kilometres.... Never had an AFM issue with either one. I changed oil every 5k kilometres with top quality oils mostly Mobil 1.......
5,000 kilometers is a paltry 3,107 miles. I would bet that if all owners were doing that kind of maintenance, AFM failures would be very rare.

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
813 Posts
5,000 kilometers is a paltry 3,107 miles. I would bet that if all owners were doing that kind of maintenance, AFM failures would be very rare.
I figured oil is way cheaper than a complete lifter overhaul. It worked out to five oil changes a year vs three for me. Never ever followed the OLM.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2015 gmc sierra with a 6.2 litre with 70k miles... I'm frustrated, I'm on my second set of lifters (16) and also camshaft.. the reason I'm writing this post is my truck has been in the dealership for going on two months... The question I have is why is gm not being held accountable for a poor design as its costing me $5500... I have been a gm person my entire adult life but unfortunately I think I'm done and I have no confidence in my vehicle anymore , I'm afraid it will breakdown again... I have seen a new service bulletin has been issued and some class action lawsuits are in the works regarding this problem ..

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,259 Posts
I follow the OLM in my 2018 Silverado. It has 45,000 miles and no issues. Mobil 1 oil. OLM= somewhere around 7,000 miles usually. I tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer all over the Inter Mountain West. The passes can be 7,000 to 8,000 feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have always used mobil 1 and done my own oil changes when recommended... The second failure happened at the dealership on a test drive after they were done replacing the first set and cam... :devilish:Has anyone used the afm delete programmer's?, and would a programmer stop the lifters from failing again?

·
Administrator
7,331 Posts
Many, many people on this site have used a tuner or a Range device to keep AFM from activating. That, however, does not prevent the lifters from failing. It might help reduce the chances of failure since the lifters are not constantly locking/unlocking with AFM, but the lifters are still prone to failure regardless. The only prevention is removal.

Reactions: AFRY

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
436 Posts
I have not had the need (yet) to rebuild this new (to me) motor. But I have rebuilt many 327 to 427 motors to stock and performance.

Are there not many aftermarkets supplying performance parts to make this problem go away for good? $5500 should get a lot of quality performance parts to fix this.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I just updated my thread...my 2015 Silverado LTZ(bought in August w/ 55K miles after my 12 got totaled).. now has 56K and lifter noise.

Been at dealer a week. They just texted me..

So just updated my thread...but

"We found 1 bent push rod and the cam looks fine. I took pics for the warranty co and am waiting for their final approval."

I found a TSB 15-06-01-002H

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have always used mobil 1 and done my own oil changes when recommended... The second failure happened at the dealership on a test drive after they were done replacing the first set and cam... :devilish:Has anyone used the afm delete programmer's?, and would a programmer stop the lifters from failing again?
During both repairs was the VLOM replaced? It is SOP to replace the VLOM and lifter trays (if your Gen V motor has them). Not replacing them is not doing the job right as this is 9 of 10 times what causes the lifters to fail.

Dirty oil that is not Dexos approved is AFMs worst enemy. Some Mobil oils are not Dexos approved. Were you using them?

·
Registered
2021 Silverado, 5.3, 8 speed
29 Posts
Programing out DFM or using a Range will not prevent failure. I used Mobil One Dexos oil every 3000 to 4000 miles with a Range and still had a lifter fail at 9900 miles. Defective lifters were factory installed between Sept 2020 and March 2021. The design was week to start with and earlier manufactured lifters have also failed, though not as often.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts