Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Sierra 1500 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been told that my adjustment is maxed out. What do I replace to correct this? 2001 Sierra 1500 4x4. I don’t want to have the alignment shop do it. I only want them to adjust.

many thanks from a new member!

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,072 Posts
Caster, camber or toe???? Is it lifted??? I would assume it is. Which would then require you to buy the appropriate aftermarket parts to allow correct adjustment. Need more info.

And welcome! 🇺🇸

·
Registered
2001 Sierra 1500 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Caster, camber or toe???? Is it lifted??? I would assume it is. Which would then require you to buy the appropriate aftermarket parts to allow correct adjustment. Need more info.

And welcome! 🇺🇸
Oops. Sorry. Camber. Caster and toe are ok. Not lifted, straight stock setup. All new steering linkage and new ball joints. Problem existed before ball joint change and did not improve with change.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,227 Posts
Are you the first owner? any chance it was lifted or lowered prior to you owning it (if applicable)?

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,072 Posts
If it's stock, then there is only one 'problem' I can think of; the upper a-arm bushing bolts are frozen in the bushings, which would not allow for adjustment of Caster or Camber. If this is the case, then you would need to replace the upper a-arms. I suppose you could just replace the bushings, but that is a difficult job. Much easier to buy/install complete new upper a-arms. I did this on my own truck ('03 Silv 1500) about a year ago.

·
Registered
2001 Sierra 1500 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's stock, then there is only one 'problem' I can think of; the upper a-arm bushing bolts are frozen in the bushings, which would not allow for adjustment of Caster or Camber. If this is the case, then you would need to replace the upper a-arms. I suppose you could just replace the bushings, but that is a difficult job. Much easier to buy/install complete new upper a-arms. I did this on my own truck ('03 Silv 1500) about a year ago.
Upper only? No need for lowers? I don’t want to deal with the torsion bars….

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,072 Posts
Caster/Camber adjustment is in the upper arms. You 'might' be able to get away with just installing a new bolt kit (shown in pic below), but personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. Truck is 20 years old, so it's likely the bolts are rusted solidly into the bushings, and you'd never get them out. You obviously can't use any heat, or you'd melt the bushings.

Oh, don't be afraid of the torsion bars. They are relatively easy to remove. Tons of YouTube vids on how to do it. You should use a 'torsion bar unloading tool'. I have one in my toolbox. But you can usually borrow one for free at most auto parts stores.

Here's the kit I'm talking about:
Font Rim Household hardware Engineering Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
2001 Sierra 1500 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Caster/Camber adjustment is in the upper arms. You 'might' be able to get away with just installing a new bolt kit (shown in pic below), but personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. Truck is 20 years old, so it's likely the bolts are rusted solidly into the bushings, and you'd never get them out. You obviously can't use any heat, or you'd melt the bushings.

Oh, don't be afraid of the torsion bars. They are relatively easy to remove. Tons of YouTube vids on how to do it. You should use a 'torsion bar unloading tool'. I have one in my toolbox. But you can usually borrow one for free at most auto parts stores.

Here's the kit I'm talking about:
View attachment 944346
Does the bolt kit usually come with new A arms?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts