Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Allison tranny just blew up at 107K
Background: second owner...got it at 100K. First owner was religious about maintenance,,,he is an experimental aircraft pilot and motorcycle enthusiast. he gave me the extra tranny and oil filters he had as well as oil (all was AC delco). he used the truck mostly to tow a motorcycle trailer with one or three motorcylces depending. I used the truck to tow three times (two times were a half yard of concrete which I towed about 3 miles one way and one ingressol rand compressor trailer that I towed about three miles). The first sign was what felt like a kick from behind,,,then a terrible grinding noise.
towed in and mechanic said the flush plate I believe (it looked like a two sided flat disc ring with little raised splines inside, one side of its cover was in fragments) bearing shot out and went through the whole tranny messing it up....said all that was salvageable was the housing. I authorized the rebuild. This guy has a lot of good reviews. said he uses all AC delco and OE parts. picked it up day and half to two days later. driving home in rush hour (crawling basically) I felt another kick again and a bump when braking to a stop. then it shuddered the whole front of the truck when the tranny tried to upshift. never went over 20mph. had it towed. mechanic said his supplier gave him a 2008 gear train for my 2006 not realizing that the ratio(???) was different...mumbled something about 53 vs 56. Said the computer was not doing something and that he had the right part(s)? on the way. I asked him if any other parts would be messed up and I think he said would not matter since its a whole new ...... I don't know much about cars and especially about trannys. All I know it that Allison is supposed to be the best. I bought the truck mostly for that tranny as my ford I thought was junk.... Why at 107K with routine maintenance and easy towing? how are you able to fit the wrong part in there?
what is going on? A lady at Dynamic Systems (big trucks and tractors and Allison certified) said she cannot believe that bearing went out and cannot even get into reset GM computers.)
Help...very frustrated, and somewhat suspicious?
thanks in advance!!!

· Servicemen, AutoTech
1,070 Posts
Never met a tranny named Allison but I did meet one named Lola. It wasn't a good meeting.....

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just looked at part pictures online and the piece the mechanic showed me that went bad looks like a thrust bearing. what year did gm take over production of the Allison 1000? for what it is worth, in my ford f150 4x supercab long bed that I worked like a one ton truck for ten years, the tranny went 180K before it started to show indicators of wear...

· Registered
4,317 Posts
Out of curiosity, before authorizing rebuild, did you happen to price a factory reman? I would take a factory reman trans over somebody re-building one in a shop. Quality control is much better for one, and downtime shorter. Just drop one, put in the other. I have grown very fond of using factory rebuilds when available.

GM does make their own 1000 Alison, but Allison itself also has the original 1000 they still build. I would even take a GM pickup with an Allison direct to an Allison shop for work. Those folks know what they are doing and that is all they do day in a day out. As for Allison transmissions doing the job, check this vid out......

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for responding. I inquired through the mechanic about new and he said 8K, it was easy to say no to that. I suspect a reman from Allison would have been less and as you pointed out, probably a better way to go....know I am the wiser-thank you. Perhaps he did not discuss that as an option since he probably feels he can rebuild one just as good as them. As a general contractor with 30 yrs experience, I can admit we all suffer from some degree of hubris. Unfortunately, this kind of hubris can get us in trouble and in this case, being on the receiving end, probably cost me more downtime and headache. Now I am waiting for the correct gear train to come from Oregon, if it comes early enough tues am, I will be back in the truck tues evening. I have my fingers crossed. I do know this much....if it does not work right this time, I will be taking it to an Allison certified shop and inquiring about a reman- and he of course will be giving me a full refund or find himself in court!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.